Ignition live for aftermarket radio and display

sergio2305

Hi, I'm kinda new to the car world, especially everything about the electrical system, I replaced my aftermarket radio with a new one and bought a display for Apple CarPlay (Carpuride) power through the lighter plug, I suppose the radio is connected to the permanently live connection as it remains on when the ignition is off. I wanted to hard wire the display into the fuse box in a way which powers it with the ignition, where I could plug it? Is it possible? I wanted to power the radio through the ignition live but I have no idea how to make it, in the radio diagram a pin is dedicated to the ignition live, does it even exist in the A2?

Attachments

• Schermata 2024-01-20 alle 21.11.59.png
    Schermata 2024-01-20 alle 21.11.59.png
    414.7 KB · Views: 41
Good Evening,

I am not an electrics man or that interested in audio upgrades so I am little use to you, but I have seen reference to piggy backing the big fat wire in a climate unit (if you have such) connector for an ignition live, but be wary of my comment.

I have also read of incompatible ariel problems and non OEM radios draining the battery so be aware it might be not that straight forward, you really need advice from somebody who knows.

Please help this poor member.

Andy

Hi, I'm kinda new to the car world, especially everything about the electrical system, I replaced my aftermarket radio with a new one and bought a display for Apple CarPlay (Carpuride) power through the lighter plug, I suppose the radio is connected to the permanently live connection as it remains on when the ignition is off. I wanted to hard wire the display into the fuse box in a way which powers it with the ignition, where I could plug it? Is it possible? I wanted to power the radio through the ignition live but I have no idea how to make it, in the radio diagram a pin is dedicated to the ignition live, does it even exist in the A2?
The radio is/should be connected to permanently live 12 volts, via the yellow highlight on your diagram. This is the power supply to the radio.
The red highlighted connection is a low current "control" that brings the radio in and out of standby. It's that wire thar should be ignition switched, to turn the radio on and off with the ignition.
Depending on you having rear speakers, other conditions are required, to power the rear amp. Also depending on the original radio, the antenna circuit must be considered, (including the Diversity unit, if original fitted radio was Concert).
You need to look at your whole package, figure it out, then decide how.
It is quite easy to do damage, if you don't understand electrics.
Mac.

Back