Interior map reading lights flicker

Modecorp

A2OC Donor
Noticed today that with engine off, key out, if I press one of the side map reading lights, they come on with a fast flicker for a second or two and then go off, coming back on to do the same 10 or so seconds later. Is this a thing with A2’s? They work normally/fine with the ignition and/or engine on. Happens with both left and right lights.

On occasion I’ve had a similar thing with a previous A2 with the rear reading lights. A quick whack tended to resolve the issue indicating it was a connection issue.

On occasion I’ve had a similar thing with a previous A2 with the rear reading lights. A quick whack tended to resolve the issue indicating it was a connection issue.
😄 funnily enough that was my next move if it continued. Seems to be okay now so I’ll keep an eye on it, and if its starts up again I’ll prep a whack.

😄 funnily enough that was my next move if it continued. Seems to be okay now so I’ll keep an eye on it, and if its starts up again I’ll prep a whack.
It'll be a dodgy solder joint. Reflowing all joints will fix it.
There may be a guide on taking the cover off, but I've not seen one.
Mac.

It'll be a dodgy solder joint. Reflowing all joints will fix it.
There may be a guide on taking the cover off, but I've not seen one.
Mac.
Thanks. Yeah, I wondered that too. I also need to take a look at the connections to the drivers side window and passenger mirror switch for the, as currently you can put the passenger window up with the button, but not down. Also the passenger side mirror doesnt adjust with the toggle switch, so I figured the entire driver side unit itself was in need of some contact cleaning.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with the passenger side mirror. I replaced a faulty complete passenger side window motor unit with a good used one from @A2Steve and it works perfectly now with minimal expence.

Last edited:
Virtually all soldered joints are suspect at this age. Vibration temperature cycling, etc. There are a lot of soldered joints in our cars, so, developing soldering skills, (before using them in anger), would be useful.
Mac

I had a similar issue with the passenger side mirror. I replaced a faulty complete passenger side window motor unit with a good used one from @A2Steve and it works perfectly now with minimal expence.
Would the passenger side window motor still be the main suspect, even if it operates fine from the passenger side door switch?

Yes its a possibility if the passenger side mirror isnt moving correctly as the motor has all the mirror electrics attached to it. 👍

Back