London Snow

Johann

Last night:

n671901323_1772116_6369.jpg

This morning:
n671901323_1775496_775.jpg

There's about 5" of snow in Richmond this morning too - lovely! Shant be taking the A2 out that's for certain - I don't have much confidence my 215 summer tyres will work well in the brown slush that's out there on the main road, let alone on the untreated side-roads around here! Maybe now is the time to get some winter wheels...

The A2 lightness was a disadvantage yesterday for me.

Couldn't get out of my street, there is a slight incline. I got about 3/4 of the way up it and then the ASR kept kicking in but i was stationary and the wheels kept spinning. I turned the ASR off and the same thing happened, i had to donut it on the slide down so i was facing the other way, otherwise i would have ended up in some persons front garden, it was a very hair standing on end moment.

Thankfully it was ok, and i got to work in 2 hours for a 10 mile journey that usually takes 20 minutes.

It's very strange how the southerners haven't got a clue how to drive in the white stuff, and also that its massive news when the south gets snow but the north and Scotland its quite common place to see snow. You've got to love the media hype.

I used to live in Canada and drove up to the mountains for snowboarding a lot. All I would say is most of the people who know a thing or two about driving in snow were either on foot or stayed home. I didn't bother driving. I can handle it, but I know I won't be able to escape others' mistakes.

It's very strange how the southerners haven't got a clue how to drive in the white stuff.

Come on, it's also strange how northerners or shall we say non-southerners, assume ALL of us poor southerners have the same capabilites? I used to live in Middlesbrough Teeside many moons ago, so been there done it. ;)

More snow to come :), 1947 was bad, but the coldest winter on record was in 1963 :)

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
So thats why it makes massive news down here with everyone complaining about lack of gritters.

How were like a 3rd world country.

Why Buses and Trains come to a complete standstill.

The southerners just think that evryone should stop and help them. Well how about they get off the bottoms and help themselves first.

Not all southerners are the same but majority haven't a clue, its a wonder how they get by in life.

I've lived down here for 4 years now and its a complete different way of life compared to the northern part of the country and you can understand why the north has resentment for the southern part of the country. As they see them and (Rightfully) as soft.

here we go the start of the A2 northerners v the A2 Southerners. does it really matter where you live / come from? whether you like dogs or cats? there will always people who do and people who don't. I'm sure we can all make generalizations but i gave that up at school! or shall we meet up out side the bike sheds?

As a professional Northerner (!), I can't comment on the inadequacy, or not, of Southerner driving on the white stuff, as I very rarely venture south of Birmingham!

However, what REALLY gets up my nose is the way in which the media focusses on London.

Yes, I know it's the capitol, but you'd think it was the ONLY place that was suffering, when I'm sure it wasn't.

Being based near Englands second city (some may argue Birmingham, must that's another one!), I am always amazed by the so called national news and just how London-centric it is, with a token nod to a regional story every now and then.

We've had the main headlines for 3 days now and they've all been about how London is being affected by snow and I'm sure that there's been other stories which merit more attention in that time.

That's my tuppence worth!

Cheers,

Mike

However, what REALLY gets up my nose is the way in which the media focusses on London.

Yes, I know it's the capitol, but you'd think it was the ONLY place that was suffering, when I'm sure it wasn't.

Being based near Englands second city (some may argue Birmingham, must that's another one!), I am always amazed by the so called national news and just how London-centric it is, with a token nod to a regional story every now and then.

We've had the main headlines for 3 days now and they've all been about how London is being affected by snow and I'm sure that there's been other stories which merit more attention in that time.

That's my tuppence worth!

Cheers,

Mike

I totally agree with every point you've made, apart from the rather 'Southern assumption' that Manchester is the second city; er, that would be Birmingham ;) The only reason Manchester often gets referred to as the second city is that people living South of the Watford Gap are ill informed by London-centric media (the oh so biased BBC etc), and given the highest population density exists in the South-East there were more misinformed people who voted for Manchester in the BBC's poll than those living outside of the M25/M4 corridor to vote for Birmingham.

Regardless of that minor detail, Londoners seem to think Birmingham and Manchester are all part of one big conurbation anyway, a bit like Reading and Dartford.

Ian, that was said with tongue firmly in cheek - in area terms, as well as population terms, Birmingham is almost certainly number 2. People often look at Manchester and think it's bigger than it is, forgetting that Salford is a city in it's own right and the neighbouring towns of Stockport, Hyde, Stalybridge, Rochdale, Wigan, Bolton, Bury etc are all separate towns.

The fact that we now have an orbital motorway, like the M25, adds to the mystique, but really, it's a toss-up who is the second city.

I was once mic'ing up Frank Skinner for a TV show and knowing his love for his native city, I welcomed him to Manchester, Englands second city. Just before he launched into a tirade of expletives, I just winked at him and we got on well for the rest ofvthe days filming!!

Cheers

Mike

PS Lets see if the Beebs attitude changes when they move to Salford (not manchester as the press say!)

Frankly, the UK's 2nd city title is not that meaningful ;-) Ask any forigner to name two cities from any country... Rome, Milan; Munich, Berlin; Bacelona, Madrid; Moscow, St Pete's; London ... err. I guess Manchester might get a mention because of a certain football team in Salford!

In comparison to other world cities, London was pathetic in dealing with the snow. You won't imagine shutting down a runway at JFK because of heavy snow, right? If I can understand no buses running, I can't understnad why the tube was so badly affected. Oh well, at least the congestion charge was waived for a day...

Just one point Humps - that footy team you mention is actually in Manchester - the border between Salford and Mancunia is the River Irwell, which runs just to the north of the Theatre of Dreams.

However, I agree with you, the debate over which is the countries second biggest carbuncle is irrelevant!

Cheers,

Mike
(Who has no links to Manchester and is in fact a Yorkshireman)

I did chuckle how the underground was affected by snow :p

The airport I work at has no problems in staying open,
no matter what.

it is a funny ol world:cool:

Frankly, the UK's 2nd city title is not that meaningful ;-) Ask any forigner to name two cities from any country... Rome, Milan; Munich, Berlin; Bacelona, Madrid; Moscow, St Pete's; London ... err. I guess Manchester might get a mention because of a certain football team in Salford!

In comparison to other world cities, London was pathetic in dealing with the snow. You won't imagine shutting down a runway at JFK because of heavy snow, right? If I can understand no buses running, I can't understnad why the tube was so badly affected. Oh well, at least the congestion charge was waived for a day...

Don't be mislead i was stuck in NY for 4 days because JFK had heavy snow.:)

Especially those X5s on big fat summer tyres. Oh, and some of them were in the ditch as well ;-P

Guys the problem is we rarely get snow and most of the people don't change there tyres because of this. I must say there were alot of bm's in ditch's.

Guys the problem is we rarely get snow and most of the people don't change there tyres because of this. I must say there were alot of bm's in ditch's.

That's probably because most newer buyers of BMW's (salesmen/estate agents/recruitment consultants) don't know what rear wheel drive is, I always find watching them in the snow amusing - so long as I'm a far distance away!

Back