looking to replace the ditchfinder specials on the new car

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
The new car is going to get a spiffy set of new boots to replace the ultra budgets now fitted.
Looking for 4 x 185/60/15. Looking for Dunlop/Michelin or similar. Certainly dont need XL or high speed ratings.
Not sure about all season, will to give them a try.
Any recommendations????

The new car is going to get a spiffy set of new boots to replace the ultra budgets now fitted.
Looking for 4 x 185/60/15. Looking for Dunlop/Michelin or similar. Certainly dont need XL or high speed ratings.
Not sure about all season, will to give them a try.
Any recommendations????
Sounds like a smart move to lose the ultra budgets. I've been tyre shopping lately and prices have gone up notably I think, even just from a year ago. Like everything else I guess...

Good luck getting a good deal on a full set of branded boots.

Kennedy

Evening Simon,

I’ve been using 185/60/15 tyres on Pepperpots for some time now. Dunlop SP Sport BluResponse and Goodyear EfficienctGrip have been great. Prefer the Dunlops but there is not much in it for me to be honest; I’d have either at the next change.

Kind regards,

Tom

I just had Falken AS210 Euroall all seasons fitted and they seem good so far. £314 all in fitted in your size. They turned out cheaper supplied and fitted by a local company than I could get them delivered only online. Happy hunting. Two of the Dunlop full winters I had on had cuts on the inner walls but good tyres too.

Simon I fitted Vredestein Quatrac to mine 185/50 R16 81H; only because CrossClimates weren’t available in that size
I think you have more choice in your size
I was very pleased with the Quatracs

I can echo @2work ‘s recommendation for the Dunlops, but I’ve also been really impressed with the Michelin CrossClimate 2’s I’ve got on Tonka.
Ditto - both Erling and I run these, they are all the tyre you need unless you’re looking for sharp as possible handling (unlikely on 15” wheels) or the absolute maximum in comfort (they are a touch unforgiving over bumps compared to Michelin Primacy 4 summers).

I stopped swapping wheels and tyres according to the season and just have these on both my vehicles now. They last forever too.

I recently replaced some pretty worn summer mid range tyres with conti winter contact tyres on 15s and the difference in grip is huge. Comfortable too.

Hi Simon, I just fitted to my 16s, a complete set of Kumhos. Really good, and came highly recommended on here.

I like Hankook as a general price vs performance. What tyres are you taking off is the tread anygood?

I like Hankook as a general price vs performance. What tyres are you taking off is the tread anygood?
Yes 2x Firemax 175/60 15. date stamp 43/19 5mm tread
1x evergreen Dynacomfort date stamp 22/19 7mm tread
1x barmum brillantis date stamp 38/14 5mm tread.

I recently replaced some pretty worn summer mid range tyres with conti winter contact tyres on 15s and the difference in grip is huge. Comfortable too.
For winter, went from 215/40R17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 4 to 185/60R15 Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 3; the difference in lateral grip is huge - it was clearly over-tyred before, but limits are massively lower with the little all-seasons, even subjectively.

Just got 4 new Dunlop Bluresponce 205/50/16 on the TT rims for the TDi 90. Cheapest I could find after searching for hours was £481😭

Yes 2x 175/60 15

As you currently have the standard 175/60R15 tyre size, I expect you also have the standard 5.5Jx15 ET34 rim size.

195/55R15 would fit the 5.5J rims and give a lot more grip than the 175/60R15 tyre size. It would also keep the gearing standard, so no compromises there. Being quite wide relative to the rim, it should also do a good job of protecting the rim from kerbing damage.

Because 5.5J is relatively narrow for 195/55R15 tyres, the comfort should be good...especially with the soft and flexible sidewalls that all-season tyres tend to have.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 195/55R15 85H

For even more comfort, cheaper tyre prices, but noticeably less grip although still good, maybe consider the 175/65R15 tyre size. Being narrow, it should also help a little with mpg.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 175/65R15 84H

So in summary, two very different tyre sizes, but both good in their own ways.

Last edited:
Back