Lost my oil filler hose!

Philwilgil

Hi, I’m in France with my A2 1.4 petrol and need to drive back in a few days, but having had the oil light come on at corners, I noticed the oil filler pipe has disappeared because new oil spewed out when I tried to top it up!
Is there a non return valve on the entry point into the block, meaning I could drive my car back to the uk to get it replaced, or would it mean oil would spew out whilst it was running? Looking at this forum it seems like it would be difficult to get this fixed quickly here in France?

On the Tdi I was able to do exactly that without losing the oil pressure for a few weeks until I was able to drive to WOM and they fitted the second-hand one I obtained as part of other work.

If the oil filler pipe was integral to the sump (without a no-return valve in place) wouldn't breakage of the pipe result in the oil pressure dropping catastrophically and immediately set off the OPS warning light?

If you still need to add oil to the engine obviously you can put it in through the filler on top of the rocker cover even if there is no filler pipe present in the normal location.

Well the oil level had certainly gone down in the near 400 miles getting here, but it wasn’t catastrophic as it only complained on left hand bends. I’m able to top up with the bonnet off of course, but I don’t want to have to stop every 20 miles or so to check the level - talking of which I find the dipstick to be irritatingly difficult to check, I’ve taken to dabbing it onto white tissue as opposed to looking.

I can't see anything on the parts diagram or photos on the internet showing anything other than the filler pipe going into the block, i.e. no non-return valve etc.
Therefore, you may want to try and block off where the pipe used to be, perhaps even just using something plastic to bung the hole.
The dipstick is on the same mounting into the block, so it seems strange the filler pipe has gone, but not the dipstick, although there are plenty of photos of the ribbed filler pipe getting breaks and cracks, so perhaps it is much weaker.

Any plastic pipe joining the mount to the filler in the flap, secured by cable ties or jubilee clips should get you home, if you cannot bung the hole.

I have an AUA also, but have not yet blocked off the flap dipstick, as I have installed the Polo dipstick upgrade, which works much better. Have a look when you return. £20 well spent!

Matt

The oil filler pipe enters the sump above the high oil level and as such unless the car is parked on a hill no oil will be lost. With the engine running oil is splashed around and it is some of that oil that escapes, still not good. There is no non return valve on the filler pipe.

You will need to plug the port in the sump with something that is oil proof and fits very tightly. As you are in France then a suitable piece of cork could well work provided it is securely fitted or even a thin branch from a tree with the bark removed and wedged against a suitable part of the block. Obviously you do not want anything to fall into the sump so be careful.

Thanks for all your replies. I’ll take a look and try to sort something and let you know how I get on!
Try a lever operated wine bottle stopper it expands 2 rubber seals & would be a safer option than a cork unless you use the champagne variety

Back