Love the car shame it’s getting old like me

Rogue

I have the 1.4 Tdi sport had it for 20 years now, and the poor girl may be on her last legs, now that I’ve joined the group. Just took it for mot and it passed, unfortunately when I got it home I noticed the brake pedal felt strange on closer inspection I noticed the aluminium bracket it hangs of has snapped and was wondering if anyone knows if these are part of the bulkhead or bolted on, and if so, is it any easy fix cheers

Welcome. 20 years is a long ownership. Had mine 19 years. Agreed at this age they need some tender care. Just spent 6 hours on mine today and about 20 hours this week.

Re bracket. I've never heard that failure mentioned on the forum. Has it snapped or a bolt come undone? Have a look at this parts diagram:

Edit: Note that Price column is not a price! but a misinterpretation of the year range when the part differed according to the year. Correction: It is a price where LLParts stock the item. But the year range info seems to be missing. You can see it at 7Zap but there is is corrupted and needs to be decoded. Also the Model column identifies parts that are model dependent. You will need to decode the sticker in the boot using http://prsearch.planetvag.com/

It is 100% certain you cannot get the part in the UK as all A2 parts at dealers were shipped back to Germany to Audi Tradition. AT no longer ship to the UK due to Brexit but our member Rick @Rickmeister in Germany every so often does a bulk order for owners and then ships the parts to one of the forum members who then ships within the UK.

AT here:

Use the part no. identified at LLParts to do a search at AT.

Rick's latest group order finishes tonight! So if AT has it and you want new then get you skates on! Alternatively, one of our ethical breakers @A2Steve or @Clackers can probably help and will be quicker.

PS: Maybe the MOT station were a bit too heavy handed testing the brakes. If so you may have a case against them but they may argue they had to exert pressure to make it pass. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan diagram most helpful, I had the same thought about the guy being heavy footed, but like you said hard to prove. Have looked at the car again and your diagram, and I can confirm that the bracket has snapped where the bolt number 44 goes through so I think the only place would be a donor part from a scrap 🚘 but over the years I’ve found them to be as rare as hens teeth and as for parts wondered where you guys get them from. Was about to put on a new set disc and pads today

Thanks Brian

Had my car from New 02 had new wheel hubs, track rod end, drop links

Last edited:
A picture(s) is worth a thousand words.

(I was born/went to school in Bolton a long time ago.)

Andy

Photo 1 is a side view of the bracket which the bolt goes through to hold the brake link for peddle see photo 4 of bolt.

photo 3 is the peddle and link

photo 2 is the aluminium bracket you can see where is broke the accelerator is also bolted to this.

will make a start to unbolt this tomorrow then can get a better photo of it once it’s of

thanks again

ps a lot has changed since you moved Andy, just out of interest which school

Attachments

• 20231006_221833.jpeg
    20231006_221833.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 86
  • 20231006_221513.jpeg
    20231006_221513.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
  • 20231006_221552.jpeg
    20231006_221552.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 20231006_222232.jpeg
    20231006_222232.jpeg
    996.4 KB · Views: 83
Evening Again Brian,

Never seen anything like this and I agree a used part is the most likely solution. Expect all models are the same but just watch me be wrong. On here we have three principal recyclers and I am confident a parcel will be coming your way soon, @A2Steve, @Clackers, @Ami.

Andy

Evening Again Brian,

Never seen anything like this and I agree a used part is the most likely solution. Expect all models are the same but just watch me be wrong. On here we have three principal recyclers and I am confident a parcel will be coming your way soon, @A2Steve, @Clackers, @Ami.

Andy
Agree with Alan, the breakers on the forum will help out on this👍

Have never seen that happen before and getting that whole unit off is a bit of a ball ache

Greetings,

You could do an awful lot worse than making contact with Paul @depronman who is not only in "your neck of the woods" but is a brilliant engineer and knows his A2's extremely well. An aerospace engineer by day and an exremely likeable individual. Has workshop facilities in Kirkham available to him.

Best of luck with your problem.

Regards and welcome.

Simon

Have never seen that happen before and getting that whole unit off is a bit of a ball ache
Hi Steve have you ever taken one of, and if so did you need to remove the steering column to get at all the bolts out. so far I’ve remove The fuse box and accelerator, just struggling to get the brake link of the ball on the piston. I read an earlier post about this but not figured it out and is there anything I should look out for removing the clutch pedal

Thanks again for the help Brian

Thanks Alan diagram most helpful, I had the same thought about the guy being heavy footed, but like you said hard to prove. Have looked at the car again and your diagram, and I can confirm that the bracket has snapped where the bolt number 44 goes through so I think the only place would be a donor part from a scrap 🚘 but over the years I’ve found them to be as rare as hens teeth and as for parts wondered where you guys get them from. Was about to put on a new set disc and pads today
44 goes into 1 as far as I can tell: Bracket Brake Pedal Cluster part no. 8Z2721117B Not available at AT. At least it is a separate part and not part of the space frame. That diagram is so busy it's hard to see how many bolts secure it to the space frame. Quite a strip down. Good luck.

44 goes into 1 as far as I can tell: Bracket Brake Pedal Cluster part no. 8Z2721117B Not available at AT. At least it is a separate part and not part of the space frame. That diagram is so busy it's hard to see how many bolts secure it to the space frame. Quite a strip down. Good luck.

there's one on Ebay for just over £20.

Thanks everyone for help I will endeavour to keep you updated once I figured out how to get it of, thought I might of got away with leaving the steering column on, but it looks like it may have to come of to gain access to all the bolts unless Someone has done this before.

cheers Brian

Last edited:
Just got back online to check up on this thread.

Glad you managed to find one on eBay, and for a bargain price.

Great stuff, I would have removed it if I had to, but glad I don’t have to now 😊

Back