Make ride more comfortable around town?

Frambo

Hi all,

After been uncertain whether to get rid of my mum's A2 or throw a lump of money at it, I've decided to do the latter.

One of the things I need to do is replace all the shocks and at least one spring (though will need to do at least both springs on the axle of course, at which point I feel I should do all 4).

I've seen lots of options here, Konis, Bilsteins, Monroes etc but truth be told I'm extremely time poor at the moment (currently overseas travelling) and my mate has the car at his workplace doing the suspension for me this week so I am being very lazy and not doing the level of research I normally would do but instead placing my trust solely with the other owners on here

Objective is to improve the ride around town over speedbumps and potholes plus general vibration and harshness. Not to improve handling during spirited driving (the car goes above 40mph about 3 times per year!)

Thanks in advance,

Fram

My Tdi75 was refurbished recently with the following parts from Autodoc...
69278ef5bc76d148be37d993dda4c875.jpg
86d34a6aa58fa7bb10e24616c248cbac.jpg
90e303f8bc6fb360eeade3a3c415d420.jpg
3ca937353df4b2688ab13e29fb33f758.jpg
2a4bd91fbd8bb5b121e0635a83a2692f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I just finished last week replacing everything on my front end springs, wisbones, upper mounts shocks inner tie rods, outer tie rods, droplinks, discs, pads all the bushes and brand new bolts everywhere. Only thing I eft old was knuckle with the bearing hubs. I got everything from MEYLE except control arms. I can't recommend enough how this change the overall ride. I guess the combo of new shocks springs wishbones and bushes did that magic and It honestly feels like new car. All the annoying noise is virtually gone and the car never felt so "new and sharp" since I got it almost 10 years ago. Get any German made decent brand and you can't go wrong. You will enjoy the new ride as much as I do.

New shocks make a huge difference as do lightweight wheels. I always thought that any 17” wheel would give a harsh ride but if they are light they can be great. However 15” forged with 60 profile tyres are probably best for ride comfort imo

George

Last edited:
New shocks are required - old ones are leaking.

So what I'm hearing is any decent german brand will be more comfortable than stock, potentially those bilsteins that @Jellybean linked above.

This is really helpful, thanks. What do we think about springs? The eibach kit?

Evening,

Once the suspension is refreshed you can still add a set of 15” wheels as mentions earlier. Just so happens that I now have a redundant set of Pepperpots with premium Vredestein tyres that were only last week removed from Project EYV. The wheels do not require refurbishment and the tyres have more than enough tread to last a few years. Only removed them tk for a set of A8 D2 16” wheels.

Currently away from home but can send pictures tomorrow if you’re interested.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back