Mobil 1 ESP 5w30?

willow77

Hi

My 'low oil' light came on yesterday and the only 5w30 oil I can find is mobil1 ESP 5w30.

Will this be ok? Or should I search wider?

Is it possible to top up 1L and then order what I should use? If so what is the best money can buy?

Many thanks.

Not sure about what oil you can/can't use. I need to get in touch with Skipton to ask his advice as he serviced my car last (before I took ownership). But Costco have got an offer on all Castrol oils at the moment, with 20% off, which seems to make it reasonable value. Does anyone know if the following is compatible? It is priced at £23.02 inc vat after discount?
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8236&d=1320225769&thumb=1&stc=1

Attachments

• IMG_20111101_172929.jpg
    IMG_20111101_172929.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 535
Hi

My 'low oil' light came on yesterday and the only 5w30 oil I can find is mobil1 ESP 5w30.

Will this be ok? Or should I search wider?

Is it possible to top up 1L and then order what I should use? If so what is the best money can buy?

Many thanks.

That would be absolutely fine to use to top up.

I have just bought some Quantum Longlife 111 5w-30 which is regarded as 'as good as it gets' and is what Audi use if you take your car to them but it isn't cheap.

Regarding the Castrol Edge yellowskunkcabbage (that's a mouth full) asks about, the Castrol Edge is in 4l tubs instead of 5l (so you would need to buy a 1l as well) and should be 5w-30 not 5w-40.

I believe the Castrol Edge is actually the same oil as the Quantum (which is Audi's own branding) but feel free to correct me anyone if this is not the case.

Latest oil spec for our TDi engines is VW 507.00. Any oil which meets this spec is fine but I personally use Castrol Edge 5w30 which is good for both std and long life service intervals.
Strangely Edge 'Turbo Diesel' oil does not meet the spec so be careful what you buy and double check for the VW 507.00 compliance.

Cheers Spike

valvonline is probably the cheapest over at motonet at €40 for 5l... though I was sure some Helix also fulfilled the norm.

Bret

I personally use Castrol Edge 5w30 which is good for both std and long life service intervals.

I've been using Castrol Edge 5w30 for the last 4 years. Fantastic oil. A2 now on 100k and A4 on 130k and running sweet. Oil and (genuine Audi filter) changes ever 10k.

Maybe over kill but , my oil is changed,castrol edge 5/30 and Audi oil filter,every 6 months !

Last edited:
Back