MOT Failure

will26

Just come back from Halfords (usually I'd have the local (reputable) garage check over the A2 but i was too late to organize
The car has recently had its drop links replaced. is the track rod end ball not part of them?
i also had the OSF top mounting and spring replaced.

Im i correct to say these covers are just rubber rings? how easy are they to fit?

repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a)) - should be an easy fix?
  • Offside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii)) - should be an easy fix? Probably not a DIY job?
  • Brake fluid contaminated (1.8 (a))
  • Nearside Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
  • Offside Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i)) - does it make sense to fix these at the same time as the time?
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside headlamp mounting broken
  • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • engine noise whilst idle
  • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge 3mm (5.2.3 (e))
  • Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Front Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively (1.2.1 (e))
  • EML illuminated
Im afraid maybe i have to say goodbye to 'Dieter' this year - just too maybe things going wrong with it.
BTW, Halfords were refusing to MOT it as the auto release for the fuel flap does not work - so the car failed its pre-checks - Question: what's a fuel cap got to do with its roadworthiness?

MOT test issues are all subjective to the tester. There is nothing conformity across test stations. What one passes, another fails or has as advisories.
I've had 2 tests recently so far (don't ask) both failed on different things. I shall be going for my third in the next couple of days. All points raised have been sorted.

Your issues don't sound too bad, and I have no idea why they're checking the fuel flap, unless it's sticking out.

Just come back from Halfords (usually I'd have the local (reputable) garage check over the A2 but i was too late to organize
The car has recently had its drop links replaced. is the track rod end ball not part of them?

Im i correct to say these covers are just rubber rings? how easy are they to fit?

• Offside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii)) - should be an easy fix? Probably not a DIY job?
  • Nearside Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
  • Offside Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i)) - does it make sense to fix these at the same time as the time?
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
  • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • EML illuminated
Im afraid maybe i have to say goodbye to 'Dieter' this year - just too maybe things going wrong with it.
BTW, Halfords were refusing to MOT it as the auto release for the fuel flap does not work - so the car failed its pre-checks - Question: what's a fuel cap got to do with its roadworthiness?
Track rod ends I belive just have a rubber gator over them and are part of the steering.

With the brake fluid I'd be tempted to siffon off the tank and refill with fresh, then get a good garage to do a brake fluid flush

Track rod ends I belive just have a rubber gator over them and are part of the steering.

With the brake fluid I'd be tempted to siffon off the tank and refill with fresh, then get a good garage to do a brake fluid flush
That's the tie rods inners, into the steering rack.
The track rod ends are generally easy to change, if the lock nut comes undone, and have the ball joint on the end.

• EML illuminated
Get a set of these, nice and easy to replace
1000008101.jpg

Don't waste your money on garage with track rods ends. They are 20 min job eqch side. The part itself is 12 quid each side and you need 19mm spanner to remove the nut and 22mm spanner to losen the adjusting nut. Obviously you need wheel alignment afterwards because your tracking will be off. The upper mounts is also realitvely easy at least the side without brake fluid reservoir, but you need spring compressor and bunch of spanners.

Part Of the test is to check the fuel cap seal. if they couldn't open the flap that would be a fail. telling them to open it from inside the boot should sort that

Don't waste your money on garage with track rods ends. They are 20 min job eqch side. The part itself is 12 quid each side and you need 19mm spanner to remove the nut and 22mm spanner to losen the adjusting nut. Obviously you need wheel alignment afterwards because your tracking will be off. The upper mounts is also realitvely easy at least the side without brake fluid reservoir, but you need spring compressor and bunch of spanners.
Or count the threads before you take the old ones off and you can often get away without the tracking.

The headlight one sounds like you've got a bulb blown one side, and the other side could maybe aiming high due to the missing mounting. You might need a replacement headlight but they aren't usually hard to come by from our ethical breakers. I see Steve has already PM'd you 👍

Yes I did this little trick counting them up but it wasn't good enough because at the end it was still pulling slightly to the side. I didn't wanted to take it to the garage because they always mess up position of my steering wheel. They never make it straight and I was tired coming back to get it sorted so I started doing my own wheel alignment with bunch of strings all around the car. A2s needs just toe in toe out and you can get absolutely spot on job with simple strings. If you have more cars like me you save quite bit of money this way.

After the string aligment I check it with this amazing tool invented by some chap from Bristol. Cost me around 70 quid on ebay. He patented it and lot of other brands selling it with slightly diferent designs but the core principle is the same. It checks front wheel toe in toe out against each wheel with laser and simple mirror. Considering wheel aligment is anywhere from 40 to 80 quid each plus they charge you 15 quid for each adjustment this tool pay itself after first use.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304-165116~2.png
    Screenshot_20240304-165116~2.png
    636.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240304-165119~2.png
    Screenshot_20240304-165119~2.png
    901.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20240304-165123~2.png
    Screenshot_20240304-165123~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back