Motoring programmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harps

Following on from the discussion re: Clarkson's comments, does anyone else feel that most motoring programmes spend far to long drooling over cars that will sell a few hundred world wide or on classics and not enough time testing ordinary road cars.

I just feel we need a programme where ordinary cars are being reviewed and compared - its not like there aren't enough ordinary cars being launched nowadays. I think this would be far more useful than watching Jason Plato throw a TVR around a track - although that too would be fair enough once in a while. I don't remember the A2 being fully reviewed anywhere for a start.

And C4's Driven has lost the plot - first the jelly test and now car sumo!!

Top Gear GTi is probably as good as they get - and that is old Top Gear being re-edited and recycled - mainly without Clarkson though.

I was going to say Driven was about the most realistic-but I know what you mean now!. Sky has a few re-runs of things like Driven and Used Car Heaven-a bit more real world.

I find Top Gear magazine is going the same way as the telly-more weird articles. To be honest some are good reading, but a lot of people want real world tests and lots of them to enable comparisons to be made when choosing their next car.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

If you search 4car.com for A2 tests it has been group tested twice and faired quite well. I do think most tests look for the quick fix out of a car when in my experience much less than 1000 miles in a car will give you a less than objective opinion. For example your fuel consumtion fiures will be well off. Most mags just quote manafacturers figures and when they don't achieve them just blame their heavy right foot. This is not good testing

Car mags seem to be looking for new wacky angles but I like to see cars reviewed as scientifically as possible.

I agree about driven, I used to look forward to it but I have now switched off which is a shame.

Phil

quote:Originally posted by Phil

If you search 4car.com for A2 tests it has been group tested twice and faired quite well. I do think most tests look for the quick fix out of a car when in my experience much less than 1000 miles in a car will give you a less than objective opinion. .

I agree about driven, I used to look forward to it but I have now switched off which is a shame.

Phil

I'm not so sure about that. If any Car mag had either of my A2's on long term test then the quality that the magazines rave about (as opposed to what some of us owners knew) would not have been so clear cut.

Franlky, all of the TV stuff save for GTi is utter rubbish now. Driven's gone Max Power as well.

The new Top Gear (20th October 8:00) may be good but I'm not sure. One of their new presenters is that young chap off that motoring programme on Men and Motors (he always seemed really good).

We'll see!

I caught Driven the other day and I thought it was a one off "special" for some reason. If this is indeed now the format of the show then what the hell are the program creators thinking!

Look forward to the new Top Gear though.

I agree that Driven has completely lost the plot in the new series. It started off as a refreshing alternative to the Tiff Needell drive it sideways show (just what has Tiff Needell EVER done, pray tell) but has fallen prey to split second cutting and ridiculous features like the car sumo..what a waste of precious prime time TV. They used to do sensible and considered (and entertaining) comparisons of cars we could afford to buy, but even Penny has been forced into loud mode. Pity.

I always find Top Gear Ex-files quite amusing, especially when you see Chris Goffey test driving the brand new Mini Metro and raving about the build and ride quality. Shows how far cars have developed in the last 20yrs.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Hi there

It may be interesting to note that "What Car" have currently got a Diesel A2 on long term test. They are also aware of this forum and are taking note.... (I know .. trust me).

simon

Mar01 1.4A2 Open Sky, Bad electrics,odd clutch and very nasty paint effect caused by a "bug shifter", not polishable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back