New A2 owner

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
The wife loved it and we decided to buy it on the spot as long as they changed the timing belt and water pump which they agreed to do.
So there you have it, went to buy a Swift and ended up with a great car that I had never even heard of, and to be honest I still haven't seen that many on my travels.

The only damage I can find after a week of ownership is the small plastic speaker kind of grill near the rear door handle (inside the car) obviously :eek:.

Sorry for the long winded report.
John.

Last edited:
What a great story!
I have just purchased a 1.4 petrol from a small dealer in Amble who did loads to the car before I picked it up. This is the secong A2 I have owned. Had to sell my last one a couple of years ago due to having a third child. I managed to convince my wife to let me buy another as an extra car. Don't really need it but it but it makes me grin from ear to ear when driving. Hope you enjoy. This site is great for advice as well

Hi John and welcome to a2oc. i loved the story on your purchase, funny how ownership of an a2 comes to some people. it sounds like a good find and i hope you have lots of enjoyment. cheers mike

Thanks guys for the warm welcome :) There is one thing that bothers me a bit though, not serious, but here goes.
On the V5 it says this car is a 1.4 TDI SE , i'm right in thinking that the SE stands for Special Edition? correct?
I will list what I can remember off the top of my head what the spec is in regard to the instruments and whistles and bells. Its electric windows front only, A/C, Audi Symphony sound system as opposed to high end radio, (good sound though it is) and that's about it really, no steering wheel controls, no rear electric windows, no heated seats, no no acoustic parking system, no cruise control, no on board computer as such regarding average and current fuel consumption/average speed /fuel range and driving time. and I also think the engine is 55KW, does that make it the lower BHP model?
Don't get me wrong here guys, its much better loaded than the Alto without a doubt but to me its not a special edition, it seems standard, still love the car though

Welcome John what a great story. I used to own a Suzuki Swift old shape. It did the job. But you get what you pay for;) £4.5k new with 3 years servicing I could not expect much lol. But it served it purpose.

At the end of the A2s production run the fininish was a bit mixed as they used up left over parts. So some had leather gear knobs and others not ect. I get mixed up with the different specs so some here will post here the differences I am sure.

As with the rest of the Audi brand steering wheel controls, heated seats, cruse control ect are extra:(

Most things can be added with vairying levels of ease and expense.
Cruse control can be fitted easily by our own Mike Skipton with a new control stalk, a custom wiring Loom. He can do this a social events or he is in Manchester. Rear parking sensors are relatively easy to fit. Dolphin parking sensors are a very good colur match. The steering wheel controls are another easier one. When you get to rear electric windows, on board computer heated seats you get to next to impossible or incredibly expensive.

The easiest way to see if you have the lower BHP model is if you have rear drum brakes than it's the 75 model and if you have rear disc brakes than you have the 90. You can get your car remaped to give you the preformace of the 90 without the expense of repairs of the 90's turbo wich can turn out to be very expensive.

I better not give you anymore idears as I will get you in trouble with your wife.:) but a warm welcome again and if you want to know anything we are happy to help. Have a good read here it's a great site with a wealth of exerlent information.

Cheers

David

Welcome - sounds like you've picked up a great car there - here's to many years of excellent A2 motoring!

Again guys, thanks for the info.
Funny story here, I took it up to my eldest lads last night and let him have a look and a drive in it, he's 25 and drives a civic (new shape on a 56 plate) and when we got back to his house he has decided there and then that he is going to get one, HE LOVED IT !!!!!!!!! . He even suggested a swap :) ha ha ha.

I'm appreciative for the info. Oh yes, just one other thing while I remember, in the boot under the carpet where the battry is there is a small rectangular box with a fan in it, what is it, I cant find anything in the book about it, there is also a rectangular hole just in front of it, it looks a bit like the slot for a radio if you know what I mean.
Cheers.

The small rectangular box sounds like the air compressor for re-inflating a flat tyre once you've squirted in the puncture-seal "Gunk" - there is no spare wheel as standard on the A2...
The rectangular hole is a space for an upgraded FM radio aerial amplifier pack called the "diversity aerial"...

Welcome to the Forum and ownership. the box with the fan? does it come out as some of the compressors have fans on them, as this car doesn't have a spare they fitted them with a gel pack.

Phil

The small rectangular box sounds like the air compressor for re-inflating a flat tyre once you've squirted in the puncture-seal "Gunk" - there is no spare wheel as standard on the A2...
The rectangular hole is a space for an upgraded FM radio aerial amplifier pack called the "diversity aerial"...

Great mind hey Dan

Phil

Great story indeed on how by chance an owner is 'converted' to the A2. Wonder if we should start a thread about this, I'm sure theres other great stories out there? (Or like many things has it been covered before?) What does the populous think??

I didnt really pay much attention to the A2 although I was an Audi fan from the late 90's. It was the wife who liked the A2 and asked to buy one when we were moving from the Lupo 3 door to a 5 door car. I had no firm thoughts, just wanted something with similar economy and build quality to the VW. Then I stumbled on this site when googling to find out more about the wifes desired wheels and the rest is history!! ( I think Fiona has regretted that day a few times now) :)

Back