New ECU?!

emmagater

Recently, my engine warning light came on. I got a mechanic to check what the error messages were and there were two - one was for the catalytic converter and the other was for the ECU. Both errors were intermittent.

Having listened to the exhaust, he confirmed that the cat needed changing but said the ECU message could be due to the cat, could be just a glitch or could mean that the ECU needs replacing/fixing. He cleared the warning light and said if it comes back on to take it straight to Audi as if it is the ECU, it could kill my engine. However, if I need the ECU replacing/fixing, it's likely to cost me £2-3K!

Now I'm petrified the lights going to come back on, although he said if it was a glitch or due to the cat, it wouldn't. Can anyone shed any light on this? The car is 5 years old so seems a bit young to need a whole new ECU to me?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

If you can find on here someone close to you with a VAG.COM they will give you an inderpenent check, where abouts are you?.

cheers Phil

VAG.COM will indicate the same error codes that your dealer is able to identify - but you might get a less biased opinion here on the what the code indicates.

Which model of A2 do you have? The 1.6's had problems with the early coil packs or misfiring with poor quality fuel. Both will manifest themselves with an Engine Management warning.

Ben

if its any good to you i use coggeshal auto repairs and servicing (not that far away from you up the a120,they have a great auto elecrtician that can read and understand the code live(engine running)plus ian can just scan your car for general info. its these guys that diagnosed my faied cat in another thread. cheers mike

The guy that told me the error codes in the first place was an independent mechanic who did a live reading so he wouldn't have been biased but he said if it was the ECu, only Audi could fix it. I just want to know whether it is for definite or whether it's just a glitch

Its unlikely you will need one but a new ECU for the 1.6 Fsi costs around £650 and should take an hour or so to replace and recode.
Now the not so good news - there appears to be two cats on the 1.6 engine, one is directly under the 4 branch ex manifold and the other, half way along the ex pipe. Both cost over £500 each (think this is an exchange price)

Cheers Spike

Ouch. How come I was told a new ECU would be more like £2-3K then? This guy was independent and couldn't do it himself so wouldn't just be trying to do me over plus he's a neighbour

Hi emmagater
The parts info I got is a bit out of date but should not be that far away from current prices. If your not too far away from an Audi dealer then the best thing is to call in and ask about the ECU and cats - particularly as an Audi cat price of £275 + vat was quoted in the other post.

Its likely your neighbour has never checked the price of an A2 ecu but has heard horror stories about the cost of them for other Audi models.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hello everyone - my engine warning light has just come. I have no idea why? Is there anyone near Darlington in the North East who can do me the honour of checking it over with VAG-COM for me please. After reading this thread it's gonna be expensive? There is absolutley no los of power and the car 'feels the same' if it's pertinent.

Many Thanks

James

Just got a quote from Audi for a new ECU and they're saying £800 supply and fit so feeling a lot better about it now! Thanks for all your help!

Emmagater - I seriously doubt that you will need an ECU - it is virtually unheard of for a failed component attached to the ECU to subsequently cause damage to it (the ECU).

Fingers crossed for you, but I think you'll be fine with just a new cat.

Cheers,

Mike

Back