New member - advice on A2's please

A2Chris

Hi everyone, new member and first post.

I have always wanted an A2 ever since having one as a loan car from Audi about 5 years ago, but couldnt really justify one.

Now we have a new A4 Avant which is great, but we need a second car to take us to the station and maybe ferry the kids around when the other car is in use.

This means I now have the perfect excuse to get an A2 instead of a 3 year old Clio or Feista.

Anyway, I have started doing some research, and your forum is great, so thanks.

Im basically looking for as new and low mileage as possible for around 4-5k. Not fussed about tdi as it will do very few miles and these seem to hold there value even better then the petrols. Not even that fussed about spec in a strange way as the A4 has all the bells and whistles on, I just wanted something as reliable and unmolested as possible.

With that in mind, I have started searching and stumbled across these two. Like I say im new to this so I think they are probably overpriced, but any help much appreciated.

http://www.ajcars.com/used/AUDI/A2/AETV91130319

http://www.ccmotors.co.uk/used-cars/audi-a2-1-4-se-5dr-sidcup-201220471295615

I have read the forum rules and think its ok to post links, but please let me know if not.

Thanks

Hi Chris welcome to the A2oc.

I would not be so worried about milage myself as long as it was not galactic:) I would sooner go for something that has been well looked after and fully serviced at the correct times. The main one is the cam belt and water pump most a2s should be at least there second by now. Every 5 years or 70k.

You are always going to pay more for a car from a dealer. But you have more protection. With your budget you will find some nice examples. But as you said in your position it's not worth the premium for a tdi. And as you don't have a list of must have options then will open up your options considerably.

One thing that most dealers get mixed up with is air conditioning. No A2's have air conditioning you either have climate control that is air con with digital temp control or dial controls that is not air con. Whatever they might tell you.

If you can try to take a test drive in different engine types as they do drive differently. And final tip do your homework regards to service history and milage ect. Check through Mot data ect. There are quit a few "mileage correction specallists" now it's a lot easier for them to turn back time. One person here was burnt with a clocked car, wouldn't want to see it happen to anyone else.

Good luck with your search, good examples are posted up here so keep your eyes out.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

thanks for the welcome and the great reply.

I have been in a lucky position of being able to buy newish cars from main dealers for the last 10 years, so i suppose I have become hung up on mileage and age and am a bit scared of getting it wrong.

I will try to get a few test drives although as there are so few A2's out there it might be difficult.

Apart from the performance aspect, is there much between the 1.4 petrol and 1.6 fsi ?

Also I was unaware of the air con, so thanks for the info.

Did climate come as standard on SE or Sport or was it always an option ?

Sorry for so many questions, and I will keep reading the previous posts, but there is so much info.

Thanks again
Chris

I have not driven the petrol a2's so can't make a judgement on that.

Looking through the price lists I think the climate was included in 2005. Before that it was an option. But others will be able to tell you for sure.

One thing I know is that Audi did and offer for quite a long time of metalic paint and climate control for £250.

Not bad offer, that's how mine came to have metallic paint and climate:)

There is certainly a wealth of info on here happy reading.

Cheers

David

Hi Chris your budget should get a nice A2. myself and my wife vonnie have 3 a2'S ---Two tdi(75) and my dailey driver a 1.6 fsi. Vonnie's is a nice white with opensky roof sport (essex girl spec !) my tdi is a yellow colour storm with body kit(essex boy spec?).
You ask about differences in 1.4--1.6 well as far as im concerned the fsi is a great combination of economy and performance with a great flexibility in rev range. I have never driven the 1.4 but plenty of members here have 1.4 and really like them. I will say out of the two petrol versions the 1.4 is the cheeper to run in respect that the engine is less complex due to its traditional injection. But the 1.6 is slightly more economical and offers higher power at 110bhp over the 80 of the 1.4.--but the 1.4 is lighter so still quite sprightly. car tax disc is the same at £120 per year, unlike the tdi at a huge £30 per year!!!
My conclusion in day to day driving is an fsi is great if travelling solo or a light driver and passenger but a tdi is better if carrying passengers or loaded up-due to higher totgue. I use my fsi as my daily comuter car(35miles each way) and average 48-50mpg this includes 10 mins 80-90 mph the rest is 40-50 a road. Vonnie has a drive of 77 miles each way for work and averages 60's mpg in her tdi.
Where abouts are you in essex? as it maybe possible to get together and you can come out in our a2's to get a feel of them.
happy searching mike and vonnie

Personally i would say get a petrol for driving around town as i've found my TDi is very high on fuel around town only getting mid 40's mpg, but its all about cost as an overall

1. TDi's cost more to start with but Tax is low better mpg's (only on long runs)
2. Petrol's cheaper but road tax 4x the price each year of ownership but fuel is also cheaper than Deisel

Also may be come to a social and you could get to see alot of different variants of the A2 of different ages too and i'm sure some of our great members would take you out

Hi Mike,

thanks for the response.

I think I borrowed a 1.6 a few years ago when my A3 was in for a service, and remember it being very nippy.

However as its only for the station run and a second car for occasional use, im not too bothered if it is 1.4 or 1.6. There seems to be more newer 1.6's around, but maybe thats just the way it seems.

I had a 2.0 fsi on an A4 when it first came out and thought it was great.

I think after my initial comment of I dont really care about spec I have decided must haves are climate and a cd player, after that im not fussed if it has Bose or any of the other options, but I would struggle without air con or a cd.

Im over near Brentwood, so thanks for the offer, not sure where you are.

Chris

Back