New to forum but long time owner.

Tardis

Finally got round to joining after occasionally viewing when things got complicated and I needed some new options.
Had a 2001 1.4 petrol basic since 2011 which has been a tremendous workhorse, pressed into service for all sorts of improbable tasks.
From 2,500 miles round France and Spain in a fortnight to transporting a pallet of roof slates down a farm track.
Have always maintained my own cars and am gradually delving into the electronic minefield of sensors.
Wheel bearings, struts and shocks, springs, brakes, drop links, control arms all quite straight forward stuff.
G200 sensor, replaced and checked for function with VCDS lite and Topdon Diag 600, lovely.
Just got to get the car to talk to it now.

Just as an FYI, the Magnetti Marelli main engine ECU in my 1.4i doesn't speak to VCDS lite in my hands. However, all of the other ECUs do. I handle the MM ECU with my Xtools VAG401. There may be ways to resolve the VCDS lite issue by changing the baud speed of the communication but I've not managed to make it work yet. Works fine with the Tdi ECUs.

Just as an FYI, the Magnetti Marelli main engine ECU in my 1.4i doesn't speak to VCDS lite in my hands. However, all of the other ECUs do. I handle the MM ECU with my Xtools VAG401. There may be ways to resolve the VCDS lite issue by changing the baud speed of the communication but I've not managed to make it work yet. Works fine with the Tdi ECUs.
Try reducing the "Latency" from default 16 to 12. Device Manager>Hardware>Advanced. The lead must be plugged into the laptop to do it.
Mac.

From what I can see on the VAG COM open controller screen I'd have to pay the registration fee to access the basic settings button and reset the baseline.
Tried all the local VAG garages for a reset but not interested unless it was part of a full service or MOT prep. they are all up to their eyes in work at the moment so no great incentive for them.
One offered to have a go but he hadn't used it for ages and reckoned £60 +VAT for a reset might help.
Looks like I might have to take the Ross tech registration option and wondered if it was straightforward.

From what I can see on the VAG COM open controller screen I'd have to pay the registration fee to access the basic settings button and reset the baseline.
Tried all the local VAG garages for a reset but not interested unless it was part of a full service or MOT prep. they are all up to their eyes in work at the moment so no great incentive for them.
One offered to have a go but he hadn't used it for ages and reckoned £60 +VAT for a reset might help.
Looks like I might have to take the Ross tech registration option and wondered if it was straightforward.
It's very easy. You give Ross-Tech the info they ask for, (your laptop id), pay $99, and they email you a small file, which you save to the vcds folder. Job done. You can change laptops once only, so install it on one that's in good order.
Mac.

Thanks, sounds like the best option going forward as car not getting any younger.
Fortunately the next jobs, replacing check straps and door cards should be more straightforward.

As you suggested the Ross-Tech option was the way to go.
Having paid £6 +VAT to the breakers for the pair of sensors I splashed out on the registered lite version.
Even as a first time user the replacement unit calibration was done in 10 minutes, all the warning lights are out and the sensor traces are
consistent with the car motion.
Thanks for the help and advice.

Back