No engine brake when using cruise control

Rausku1

Just installed cruise control and i noticed that when going downhill the consumption display wont go to zero so no engine brake really. And of course the speed incrases more than you want. If i turn cc off, it goes to zero and car slows down. So there is always some throttle left when going downhill with cc on.
Is this normal cruise behavior on a2? My a6 from same year works as it should.
Sorry for my english everybody :)

It does seem odd, if not potentially dangerous. If cruise is off, and foot's not on the throttle, then there should be no fuelling, hence it should slow down by engine over run, surely?
Mac.

Is there a fix for this, via a remap or similar?
no, it's been like this since the beginning. The diesels have less of an issue with it IIRC.
It does seem odd, if not potentially dangerous. If cruise is off, and foot's not on the throttle, then there should be no fuelling, hence it should slow down by engine over run, surely?
Mac.
yes, but cruise is on, and it controls only to try and keep the speed consistent.
Superb does the same thing, as does the SX4 and the Octavias both behaved in exactly the same way. If there's active control, then it will stick to the limited speed, seen that on Ateca, A6, Leon, CLA... if the cruise is on on the A2, the speed is kept only by applying gas and there is no attachment to the braking system. Except to suppress the brake lights for some reason.

I understand how cruise works.
With cruise off, and foot off the gas, the car should behave in the same way as the car would if no cruise is fitted surely?
I don't have cruise, and if I take my foot off the gas, it is slowed down by engine braking. I'd expect a car with cruise to do the same. If it doesn't, what is keeping fuel flowing?
Mac

I understand how cruise works.
With cruise off, and foot off the gas, the car should behave in the same way as the car would if no cruise is fitted surely?
I don't have cruise, and if I take my foot off the gas, it is slowed down by engine braking. I'd expect a car with cruise to do the same. If it doesn't, what is keeping fuel flowing?
Mac
If cruise is turned off it behaves as expected, it’s just when cruise is set that down big hills the car will speed up more than if you went down the same hill with cruise off and no accelerator. If you are going down a hill with the engine overrunning, then if you activate cruise the car will speed up. For some reason having cruise active will not let the car overrun.

if cruise is off, there is engine braking.
If cruise is engaged, there is no engine braking.

whether it should or not, that's what it does.

The cruise is only working through keeping the accelerator open, it never closes completely.

if cruise is off, there is engine braking.
If cruise is engaged, there is no engine braking.

whether it should or not, that's what it does.

The cruise is only working through keeping the accelerator open, it never closes completely.
OK, so it seems that whilst cruise can increase the throttle opening, to maintain the set speed, it can't reduce the throttle opening, if the set speed is exceeded, due to external influence, ie gravity.
Is this something more recent implementations of cruise can do?
Mac.

I had cruise on my Merc C Class Estate, and I'm sure it held the set speed downhill, even when towing/being pushed by 1350 kgs of caravan.
Mac.

Yes. Mercedes uses (rear) brakes when engine brake isn’t enough. VAG’s at this generation does not use wheel brakes. A2 is the first car that i driven that doesn’t shut throttle flap and fueling completely on downhill. What about diesels? Or if the cruise is factory fitted?

to my understanding the implementation is the same on all A2s. Exception being no cruise available on the 1.2s.

In fairness to my knowledge the A2 never came with factory fitted cruise and has no tell tale too. All you have to do when going down hill is touch the brake to disable it I would have thought, the car cannot see the terrain so give it a little bit of data or just turn cruise off, that's what I tend to do.

Cruise control WAS a factory option, just the dash did not have a tell tale. I remember them saying the stalk was going to illuminate when cruise was on but that never happened either..

Dipping the clutch or brake pedal disengages the cruise and normal engine braking then takes over.

Cruise control WAS a factory option, just the dash did not have a tell tale. I remember them saying the stalk was going to illuminate when cruise was on but that never happened either..

Dipping the clutch or brake pedal disengages the cruise and normal engine braking then takes over.
My mistake I had presumed it wasn't, I have seen "under siege 2 dark territory" so should know better!!

Yes. Mercedes uses (rear) brakes when engine brake isn’t enough. VAG’s at this generation does not use wheel brakes. A2 is the first car that i driven that doesn’t shut throttle flap and fueling completely on downhill. What about diesels? Or if the cruise is factory fitted?
That makes sense. It was a V6 diesel and auto, so engine braking would have been minimal.
Mac.

Yep ALL A2's can be retrofitted with cruise ( and a choice of two stalks ) and as said the cruise was an option on UK cars. The 1.2 was never a UK car and only LHD

Back