Non sunroof roof leak?!

itiejim

I have a 2002 non-sun roof A2, which has recently started leaking when it rains. The water accumulates in the central, roof mounted interior light, soaks the headlining and then drips down onto the gear lever area.
This occurs even when the car is stationary and parked on a level surface, so I can't see how it can be the windscreen seal.
Can anyone suggest where I need to point my sealant gun?!

I'd still suspect the windscreen. Check that the foot wells, at the base of both the A pillars, are dry. If they are perfectly dry, then probably not the screen.
Mac.

Thanks for the reply. I've checked properly and both A pillars are dry, but the driver's side footwear is wet. I've also attached a photo to show the level of humidity in the roof area, and how high it is compared to the screen.
Would you suggest just some sealant around the screen? Do you know whether the gutter areas have the potential to leak?

I don't know about the leak potential of the "gutters" but never heard of it.
I had a screen leak fixed a few months back, and had my local National Windscreens take the screen out, and then put it back. They said when it was fitted, (as a replacement before my ownership), not enough sealant/adhesive had been used.
Mac.

Thanks, I've had the car for over a year and it's only just started leaking, so perhaps old sealant. I'll try to get some more around it and see how that goes.

Thanks, I've had the car for over a year and it's only just started leaking, so perhaps old sealant. I'll try to get some more around it and see how that goes.
There are sealants that are for screen leaks. They are thin, to seep into gaps, then they firm up.
Mac.

I don't know about the leak potential of the "gutters" but never heard of it.
Very unlikely. I've had my gutter strips off for repainting. There is a seam where the roof is welded to the top side of the A2 (the bit that goes across the A, B and C pillars). There is a video on YT that shows it is welded by robots.

This video is my favourite A2 video. Although the robot skips over a section of the weld (where the roof is being held) I'm sure it went back, unless it malfunctioned when building the OP's A2!

Back