None Audi Gear Oil.

bm_sthlm

A2OC Donor
Today i had the gear oil changed. I know audi say it's not necessary but I thought it might be a good idea after 125000 miles. When I came home I noticed that they had used some other brand beside Audis. Its called Aral. Now they have many different types of gear oil and I intend to find out which one they used exactly in a few days since I have to go back for some other stuff. But generally speaking, is this ok? Should I ask them to redo it with audis? Im thinking i might use it for a year or so and have audi change it in the next service or the one after. Any ideas?

I haven't actually paid for it yet. Because I'm going back in a few days to get some other stuff fixed and will pay everything at once at the end. But he said the oil change would be around £20-£25. But this is what it cost in Hungary. Not sure how much it would be in the UK or at audi.

It should be either teh VAG stuff or Castrol TAF-X and *nothing* else.

Complete list including specs and various versions: http://www.audi-a2club.de/forum/showthread.php?p=864722&langid=1

Check the "freigaben" on the stuff they've used and if it's viscosity SAE 75W-90W
Specification: API GL-4
VW spec: VW TL 726

then fair enough. Otherwise? replace.

The change should take an hour or so, and you need 2l of new stuff IIRC, so it's not expensive. I did mine a few years ago, will probably do it again at some point in the very near future.

- Bret
- Bret

Back