Odometer correction

Jongriff

Hi all,

I have changed my instrument cluster to one with full DIS and have tried to adjust the mileage on the new unit to match my cars current mileage.

I converted my current milage to km and put this in VAG commander however the miles on the dash are about 40 short of what they should be!?

Anyone done this before and got them to match 100%?

I converted 136827 miles to 220201 km and this is what shows when reading the eeprom in vagcommander but the miles on the dash are different as shown in the pics below.

Cheers

Jonathan

20230519_092106.jpg

20230519_094819~2.jpg

Hi Jonathan,

The true (real-world) conversion factor is 1.609344, but VAG Commander uses a conversion factor of 1.61137172

Cheers,

Tom
One more question that you probably know about! I have the immobiliser light flashing on the new cluster. My ECU has immo off at the moment as it was a remapped unit from depronman. How can I get everything to match up again? My old cluster didn't show any warnings, but it would be good to have the immobiliser working again now I have the new one in the car.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Ok so I have given this a try but having issues. I think because the ecu is not the original.

I have all the parts at the moment so can swap them out if needed. I have:

Old ecu,
Old cluster,
New cluster,
New remapped ecu.

I would like the new cluster and new ecu in the car working with the immobiliser but can't seem to get there.

Should I put the old cluster back in and do the ecu swap procedure so that the new ecu is paired to the old cluster and hence has the correct VIN etc? My keys are paired to the old cluster too. Then would this allow me to pair the new cluster to the ECU? I think its not working currently as the key is not paired to the new cluster?

Evening Jonathan,

Graham @audifan provides a great link above which should see you right, this specific YouTube clip sponsored by Ross-Tech is exactly the way I do things:

You’ll of course need a compatible diagnostic tool or preferably VCDS to complete the process.

There is no need to change anything if you want to keep the remapped ECU and the new DIS cluster, but you’ll need the SKC from either of the old ECU or old Cluster (both have the same SKC).

Shame you’re not closer to Leicestershire as this only take a couple of minutes and I’d do this for nothing more than a chat on my driveway. I maybe heading to Moray in a few weeks where I can do this for you but this trip is yet to be confirmed. There are members who are slightly closer to you who have the ability extract the SKC from both instrument clusters; Paul @depronman or Tom @timmus spring to mind.

Let me know if you’re planning on passing Leicestershire in the coming weeks or months as I’d have you on the road with no flashing immobiliser lights (within minutes of arrival) with both your new ECU and instrument cluster. Only done this procedure a couple of weeks ago on Project EUD.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Have you looked into the youtube videos about the immo 3 swaps and the order required?

Ah I see Tom has confirmed the youtube video from Ross Tech is as I thought.

As you have already corrected the mileage you can extract the SKC.

Also think I am correct in saying that the new instrument panel when swapped over will NOT display your VIN but the field will be blank.

Have you looked into the youtube videos about the immo 3 swaps and the order required?

Ah I see Tom has confirmed the youtube video from Ross Tech is as I thought.

As you have already corrected the mileage you can extract the SKC.
Hi Graham,

Of course you’re right, forgot about this Jonathan having VAG Commander.

Jonathan @Jongriff drop me a PM if you’re unsure of SKC retrieval with VAG Commander and I’ll provide my number and talk you through it. Very simple and you’ve possibly already seen the SKC displayed without knowing it whilst correcting the mileage, it’s displayed as ‘Login’ on VAG Commander.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi both,

Thanks for the help with this!

I have vcds and vag commander and I have got the SKC from both the new ecu and new cluster. I havent got it from the old units but can do if needed. Both of the new units have different VINs to each other and my car.

I tried the Ross tech guide to log in to the new cluster and do the adaption and put the SKC of the new ecu thats installed. However after switching off the ignition and waiting then looking on VCDS again it still shows the old details and the car cuts out once started, so looks like it hasn't paired with the ecu properly.

Does it matter that my keys are not paired to the new cluster at all? I read on one of rhe pages that unrecognised keys might stop it working?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Hi both,

Thanks for the help with this!

I have vcds and vag commander and I have got the SKC from both the new ecu and new cluster. I havent got it from the old units but can do if needed. Both of the new units have different VINs to each other and my car.

I tried the Ross tech guide to log in to the new cluster and do the adaption and put the SKC of the new ecu thats installed. However after switching off the ignition and waiting then looking on VCDS again it still shows the old details and the car cuts out once started, so looks like it hasn't paired with the ecu properly.

Does it matter that my keys are not paired to the new cluster at all? I read on one of rhe pages that unrecognised keys might stop it working?

Cheers,

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

I’ve never tried to swap both the ECU and instrument cluster at the same time and guess it’s not the way to do it…

I would put the original ECU back in then get the SKCs for old and new clusters. Follow the initial part of the YouTube clip I linked above to match the new cluster. Once complete then move onto the second half of the YouTube clip to swap and match the replacement (remapped) ECU. Should take 10 minutes and you’ll be back on the road Sir.

Offer still stands if you’re passing anytime soon, but think you should be able to do this yourself, you have the tools to do it.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just had another watch of that video, I think your right, I have tried to do too much at once!

I will try putting the old ecu back in and setting up the new cluster with that and then once thats sorted get the new ecu working.

Will give it a go tomorrow!

Thanks again for the help!

Jonathan

Hi Tom,

Just had another watch of that video, I think your right, I have tried to do too much at once!

I will try putting the old ecu back in and setting up the new cluster with that and then once thats sorted get the new ecu working.

Will give it a go tomorrow!

Thanks again for the help!

Jonathan
Glad to have been able help Jonathan,

Exactly what these pages are for Sir. You already had the tools so just needed a few pointers which I feel both Graham and I added.

I’d rather you had the information than have your aluminium fried off the road; things could have gone very wrong without some guidance. Do report back with the results.

Kind regards,

Tom

Assuming this goes ahead, I’ll be in Aberdeenshire towards the end of June. If you’re still struggling then, pop the car under my nose.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi,

Managed to get the old ecu working with the new cluster and adapted the keys to the new cluster.

Next was to change to the new ecu and adapt that to the instruments. However when inputting the skc of the cluster into the ecu I get malfunction showing instead of the VIN when pressing test, it won't allow me to save either?

Any ideas?

Back