Oil Level Sensor TDI

Bordos

Poland
Hello,

As getting “beep” and low oil level warning randomly (oil level is fine) I have to fix this…

My questions to someone that had gone trough similar issue:
1. Does this warning goes away after oil refill ? In my case - I have to disconnect the battery for a few seconds and this warning is clear…
2. I have inspected the connector and cleaned it with proper electrics cleaner - no effect…
3. Should this sensor work with the engine running ? As the oil level is different when it’s all around the engine … I imagine that it should work only before starting the car.

To buy a replacement - what brand is worth it ?

IMG_6952.jpeg

Last edited:
When I replaced my oil sensor it was due to the temperature side failing not the level side. I fitted a Ridex unit and has been excellent since. Remember to lubricate the seal to prevent it picking up as the probe is inserted into the block.

The sensor works all the time the ignition is on so as to warn you while driving if there is a problem. As you have opened the service flap and checked the oil level this resets the warning. If there is an issue with the sensor it does not reset. The oil level can be viewed in VCDS.

Here is the one I fitted...

045907660D

When you open the service hatch the button that operates the alarm also resets the low oil level reading. If the sensor is working correctly this reset will put out the oil level warning on the dash. However if the sensor is faulty the warning remains until the sensor or its wiring are repaired.

No such thing as disabling the warning..In fact disabling it is the last thing you would want. Check the wiring but very probably the sensor has failed so replace it.

When you open the service hatch the button that operates the alarm also resets the low oil level reading. If the sensor is working correctly this reset will put out the oil level warning on the dash. However if the sensor is faulty the warning remains until the sensor or its wiring are repaired.

No such thing as disabling the warning..In fact disabling it is the last thing you would want. Check the wiring but very probably the sensor has failed so replace it.
Ok - the plan is to replace it.

Do you remember at what level according to dipstick the sensor triggers the dash alarm ?

Reactions: bix
Remember the dipstick and oil level sensor are not located together, so it is possible they read differently especially if the car is not level.
As for the actual level on the dipstick then I HOPE the low level is at or just below the min level on the dipstick.

Again VCDS can show the level in mm

Remember the dipstick and oil level sensor are not located together, so it is possible they read differently especially if the car is not level.
As for the actual level on the dipstick then I HOPE the low level is at or just below the min level on the dipstick.

Again VCDS can show the level in mm
At which group ?
I assume that in engine module ?

Thanks !
Found a big discussion about this on German forum - I will check how it is in my A2 :)
Evening,

There was a discussion on here some 18 months ago which confirms Graham's @audifan thoughts of Instrument 17 - Measuring Blocks 08 - Group 004:

Kind regards,

Tom

Topped up oil and checked by VAG diagnostic - got 78mm... - looking at other posts it seem to be much.

Can anybody with BHC engine check the dipstick and sensor reading if they get similar value ?

IMG_7325.jpeg

The sump does hold more oil in the diesels compared to other engines . So looking at your dipstick the 78mm does appear correct.

So now I am a bit lost …
Oil level on dipstick 3/4 of range, in VCDS 76mm and I got the low oil level warning - opening and closing the „bonnet” does not effect it …

IMG_7459.jpeg

On our 2001 AMF TDI, the oil level warning on the dash appears when the dipstick shows oil level in the middle of the cross-hatched range. Very similar on our 2001 petrol AUA, although the dipsticks are relatively useless in both case, and it takes a good few tries to get anything near a sensible result...

Reactions: bix
Topped up oil and checked by VAG diagnostic - got 78mm... - looking at other posts it seem to be much.

Can anybody with BHC engine check the dipstick and sensor reading if they get similar value ?

View attachment 122974
I got 2 bhc engines and both showing diferent results. 160k mileage showing 53mm. And my second 90k engine have 66mm. Both cars have the same level of oil as on your dispitick. You can see the dipstick measurements are quiet useless in this aspect.

I got 2 bhc engines and both showing diferent results. 160k mileage showing 53mm. And my second 90k engine have 66mm. Both cars have the same level of oil as on your dispitick. You can see the dipstick measurements are quiet useless in this aspect.
Yes, but I have 78mm and the low oil fault is active … - and it should be active below 31mm

Also remember the tdi dipstick is a steel cable. This can twist and bend so there are bound to be different levels read between dipsticks. Think the dipstick more like the temperature gauge. Gives a constant reading of 90 for a range of temperatures below and above that.

If you have a low level warning that is not being cleared by opening the service flap then there is a fault with the level sensor. Remember it is like the coolant temp sensor in the fact it has a dual function. So the level may be ok but the temperature faulty as mine was.

Also remember the tdi dipstick is a steel cable. This can twist and bend so there are bound to be different levels read between dipsticks. Think the dipstick more like the temperature gauge. Gives a constant reading of 90 for a range of temperatures below and above that.

If you have a low level warning that is not being cleared by opening the service flap then there is a fault with the level sensor. Remember it is like the coolant temp sensor in the fact it has a dual function. So the level may be ok but the temperature faulty as mine was.
Yes, but with the faulty sensor I should get wrong readings by VCDS …

Back