Oil light on but already topped up

a2vkr

Hoping someone could help with my problem
Last week my oil light came on. I checked the level but it was really difficult to see. I topped up with 1/2L of 5-30w. But the oil light was still on. thought i may have over filled. So i drained, changed the filter and topped up with 3litres. I read in my hand book that it should take 3.4litres.( I have 1.4l petrol 2002) but thought i would see how things went. i drove home from work which is about an hours drive and oil light is still coming on. So put in another 1/5L. Didn't change anything, however the light is only on when engine revs over 1200rpm. It all seems a bit strange. I have tried to look at the dip stick but just can't tell what the level is. All i know for sure is that i only put in 3litres.
Please help. thanks
Andy

Mine usually takes 3 litres to fill (i think actual capacity is 3.3 litres but there will always be bait that gets left in when draining). The oil line should be within the criss-cross area on the dip stick (it may sound obvious but make sure you are checking the level with the car on flat and level ground). If its within this area then you may have a faulty oil level sensor which can be checked with a diagnostic scan.

There are 3 oil warning symbols, the yellow oil can with a wavy line underneath is for low level, same again but with the word 'sensor' next to the wavy line is for a faulty level sensor and finally the red flashing oil can is for low pressure. Which do you have ?

Cheers Spike

Hi spike. I have the red oil light on the middle of the dash. Which flashes and the oil can drips. Thanks
Andy

Hi Rob. With regards to diagnosis I have looked on eBay for a kit, but there are several. Most have software from Ross Tech. Is there any better ones to buy?
Thanks
Andy

Hi spike. I have the red oil light on the middle of the dash. Which flashes and the oil can drips. Thanks
Andy
This indicates low oil pressure and you really should not drive until the cause has been identified.:eek:
The fact that you've driven without any additional problems means you've either been very lucky or the oil pressure switch is giving a false signal. I had a similar problem with a Lupo (same engine) and ended up attaching a pressure gauge to rule out low oil pressure and solved the problem by replacing the switch which is on the right hand side of the cylinder head at the front. The reason for not getting a warning when first starting the engine is that the ECU ignores the signal until the engine speed exceeds 1200rpm to ensure that it's stabilised.

I'd suggest you check this out before driving any further.

Hope this is of some help.
Steve

Hi Steve
Many thanks for your reply. I got the car into a garage as soon as possilbe. Thankfully it was only a sensor so it was only a cheat repair but this could easily not have been the case for others. Thanks for your advice.
Andy

Hi everyone,

I am currently stuck in Cornwall with a similar problem. I had a 'min oil level' indication on the dash somewhere near Bristol, so topped up (AND I FEAR TOO, MUCH, WAY TOO MUCH) and carried on my journey. Exeter, the indicator came on again, so topped up again (But with no leak)... so starting to get worried. Then somewhere on the A30 near Bodmin (not good at 0030 in the morning) I got the red oil can and drip indication. Stopped in a layby, and was recovered. They have said that the engine was overfilled with oil (I am kicking myself at this present time), and they cannot rectify the low oil pressure issue. The engine is also struggling to turn over. What with clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust when it does turn, could someone tell me if I have wrecked my beloved A2? Many thanks!

Severe overfilling causes crankshaft dip which overheats and aerates the oil and this results in reduced oil pressure and oil being forced out of the crankcase breather into the intake system. This would explain the exhaust smoke and low oil pressure. I'm assuming the oil pressure is still low after the engine cooled down so its not looking good and you are likely to need an engine rebuild or an exchange unit.

Cheers Spike

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and hope it turns out not to be as serious a problem as suggested above.

The thought that another silly sensor fault could cause the ruination of an engine is just sickening.

I've personally had an issue with an ABS sensor that although minor in comparison is a pain that i can't get to the bottom of.

I wish things were designed and made to last like they could be instead of to be replaced just to make more money.

I wish you all the best.

Back