open sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jhoneyball

hmmm -- was fiddling with the audi.co.uk a2 configurator application today -- and I cant find opensky on it *anywhere*

has it been killed off?

Maybe it eloped with my floppy wiper blade [xx(]

Seriously, this is the one op. extra that I'm glad I got.

I noticed it had dissapeared when they updated their site a month or so ago. Someones really on the ball there. I also noticed the colours were not the same as what are in the A2 price list.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

I agree with Ade, OpenSky is really good. It makes the car so much lighter inside, improves the looks from the outside and makes sunny days even nicer.

JR

A2 1.6 FSI, Cobalt blue, OpenSky, etc.

You are all moderately lucky. Since my days of being a nuisance to Audi UK it has been impossible for me to access the “configurator” facility, so alas I am unable to comment on any specification changes, or whatever.

Perhaps the “Open Sky” option is only available on Wednesday’s ?

Mmm, that would explain a lot - the wiper blades are only available on February 29th...

My only caveat to Opensky would be to have Climate with it also, real decadence is to drive along with the Opensky open and the aircon full blast on your feet to keep them cool in summer - can't wait :D

I did my own back to back comparison of a car with and without Open Sky before ordering our car, on a nice sunny day. I found the Open Sky did not seem much more airy inside and thus for us did not justify the cost. Though note in both cases the cars had our chosen light beige interior - I'd imagine that in black or grey versions this would not be the case. Also I did not see us ever opening the thing as I like to keep the climate on all the time.

One benefit of OpenSky which has not been mentioned is that when it rains it does not sound like a tin shed !

Personal choice as always.

Dave

1.4SE -> 1.6SE 4 weeks and counting

I think I buck the trend in the "being glad I went for Open Sky" stakes. I went for the Open Sky on my Amulet Red TDI, but now wish I hadn't:

- It does look cool from the outside, but definitely not £700 cool.

- I can't put luggage on the roof.

- It really doesn't add that much light to the inside of the car, when compared against the tin-roofer.

- The interior visibility (ie looking out) is woeful given the amount of glass involved and the "claims" of being "open-sky", an all-glass roof etc. It's fine in the front, but can anyone tell me why couldn't Audi have made the visibility from the back (and looking back from the front) vastly better (ie immovable mesh panel in way).

Would I go for it again? No way.

Open sky does look cool when viewed from a great height, as opposed to corrugated roofing effect of the metal roof. Wish Audi did a sealed glass roof ... giving the benefit of a brighter interior, but without the cost and complexity of the opening mechanism.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

Honestly speaking I have always believed the Open Sky to be a bit of a gimmick. Most of the negative comments aired are quite right, and to be honest I gave up trying to justify the price of manufacturers option long ago. However I do believe the OpenSky makes A2 unique car look even more special. Another bonus has been that the A2 also doubles as a superb Greenhouse for any keen gardeners -:D

Kaine

On the basis that the structural integrity of the car is the same regardless of tin roof or glass, I do feel it a pity that the “Open Sky” does not fold fully back to the point that 80% of the entire roof is actually open sky. It may well be that such settings would have made it uncomfortable when driving along at high speed, but for crawling around town or being parked near the beach such an asset would have been great.

Regards
John Disdale

And I'm sure Tesco would have introduced a "shop and drop" service had more Open Sky A2's been sold-this is where you drive up to you local Tesco's and a 17-yesr old lobs your shopping over the side of the car and onto your back seat...

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Tino

I agree. What a smart idea. All the looks without the fantastic engineering neded to get the roof to work, and without the warrenty claims for readjustments etc.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back