oss to non open sky ?

kraig22

ive had enough of the oss , i know that the oss can not be but on a non oss car due to stronger supports but can a tin top replace the oss ? thanks kraig

I understadn I hate having an extra, be it AC or Sunroof, that doesnt work! Whats the point! OSS is nice to have light through though so has some benefits. There is no on left in the UK or club who can fix it anymore I understand now the Kleynie guy has stopped mending them?

Sham no else can step up and try fixing them, I understadn you need some special upgraded parts..

I understadn I hate having an extra, be it AC or Sunroof, that doesnt work! Whats the point! OSS is nice to have light through though so has some benefits. There is no on left in the UK or club who can fix it anymore I understand now the Kleynie guy has stopped mending them?

Sham no else can step up and try fixing them, I understadn you need some special upgraded parts..
Did I not read on the forum that another member was in the process of buying Kleynie's OSS repair business?

As far as I can tell its a skilled job requiring patience some 12volt electrical know how and the ability to mend/fabricate sliders, pins, pullies,springs, cables, drainage in a symphony of sliding glass.

Fair play to the person who takes over.

Edit.
I'll find a parts diagram

Images taken from the - AUDI A2 - Body Construction and Function Self-study programme 239

Attachments

• Opensky_1.png
    Opensky_1.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 39
  • opensky_2.png
    opensky_2.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 38
  • opensky3.png
    opensky3.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 35
  • opensky_4.png
    opensky_4.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 37
  • opensky 5.png
    opensky 5.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 42
  • OSS_DIAGRAM.png
    OSS_DIAGRAM.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
i do like the oss , i have just cut the gutter rubber away as they had backed up and filled the rear passenger foot well , it had been back filled with silicone the last 4 inch , cleared it now need to get a new carpet set as the sponge had a good litre in it , im going to make removable drain guards so i can clean the rear drain gully all the way down .

ive had enough of the oss , i know that the oss can not be but on a non oss car due to stronger supports but can a tin top replace the oss ? thanks kraig

yes its possivle, its also possible to retrofit the oss, two or three done this in german forum. Its complicated bus possible.

Vice versa should be much easier.

But most of the times its possible to repair the oss.

Find moire information here!

the links at the end are very helpfull, the lead to the threads where different problems where solved. So, keep your oss, repair and enjoy! Or replace with w working one.

Last edited:
yes its possivle, its also possible to retrofit the oss, two or three done this in german forum. Its complicated bus possible.

Vice versa should be much easier.

But most of the times its possible to repair the oss.

Find moire information here!

the links at the end are very helpfull, the lead to the threads where different problems where solved. So, keep your oss, repair and enjoy! Or replace with w working one.
thanks for that

I'm no structural engineer but I guess on the OS roof the glass panels are not offering support so the rest should be strong enough. So a body repair shop might be able to make a custom aluminium panel that is insert in the removed OS opening and then seal all round. But could they make the ribs and would it look nice? And body shops working in aluminium I believe are rarer and expensive.

The original roof is welded all round on the production lines by robots, so removing the whole roof must be problematic and care would need to be taken to avoid damaging the structural space frame. I very much doubt a whole roof is available as a spare part, so the job would have to be repeated on a donor A2. You can see the roof being welded on this YT video:

It's my favourite A2 video!

thanks for the info , ive cut away the rubber seal that covers the drain gullies that run to the back and its sorted the issue with them being blocked up causing the leak ,

Can't you just dry the carpet out. Maybe "Vax" it first?
ive dried it within reason but the foam is pretty damaged now from how long its been wet , now ive got back seats i will be sourcing a black carpet next , cheers for the ida though

Back