OverFill car with oil :(

Dawsmac

Hi all

Not had very good day Had A2 under 1 Month, oil light came on so I fill the car up with some more oil, then later today driving the RED oil light has come on GREAT, I got the Car home jack her up and I have oil every were all over place, Clean the oil up and releases some oil from the Sump, after starting the car again i am still getting Red waring light but not oil is leaking from what i can see, can any one help please :( i release about 2 pint of oil

Thanks

Rich

Which warning like are you referring to? Are you sure it is now not saying the oil is too low?

I ran the vagcom on it this evening also getting oil sensor warning on dash, would it not be worth me replacing the sensor empty out the oil and refill with correct amount ? What I can't understand is there was oil all around by the sump but after I clean it up and release from oil by undoing the bolt on sump it not coming out anymore, might be best to take it to garage, is there any think I should be looking out for pipes burst ect ?

Thanks

Sounds like you may have a hole in the refill pipe to me.

Where does the oil measure on the dip stick?

I find if you do need to add or remove any oil it's easier if you do so in small steps like 0.5L.

Overfilling with oil can cause a lot of damage if the oil starts seeping into the cylinder & combusting with the diesel (and also, in this scenario, you can't stop the engine with the key because it is using the engine oil as fuel - if this ever happens to you, you need to deliberately stall it to get it to stop running).

--- Edit:

Yes, the above would apply specifically to a diesel engine and is irrelevant to petrol.

The other problem you would have in the above scenario with a diesel engine is that the car can accellerate wildly even if you have your foot off the accellerator & have turned off by the key.

Last edited:
Sorry for got to say it a 1.4 petro, have booked it into the garage up the road finger crossed it will not cost to much.

Grrrr.....

Back