overheating A2 TDI

fabianj

my A2 overheats on long journeys only, it has a new thrmostat and water pump the fan also works fine. The problem occurs when i sit on 70mph on motor ways esspecially when climbing hills! any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

Fabian

my A2 overheats on long journeys only, it has a new thrmostat and water pump the fan also works fine. The problem occurs when i sit on 70mph on motor ways esspecially when climbing hills! any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

Fabian

Hi Fabian

I bought an A2 last week & took it out for a run to the coast the day after picking it up. I noticed that under heavy load (Garaby Hill) the temp gauge edged up towards the upper end of the scale, but it came back down again & settled in the middle so I thought this may just be how small diesel engines reacted to very steep hills.

Shortly afterwards I got the beeping red water level alarm :(

Lifted the bonnet off & found the expansion tank empty with evidence underneath the tank that it had overheated. Took it straight back to the garage I bought it & they diagnosed a faulty head gasket.

Picked it back up yesterday & I'm just about to set off to visit Mike to have cruise fitted. It'll be a good test for the car as the M62 has a good climb out of Leeds, & I need a bit of confidence in the car as I'm setting off to drive to Cork on Sunday!!

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn, welcome to the A2oc.
Thats useful information which I'm sure will help others troubleshoot overheating problems in the future.

Cheers Spike

thanks for your thoughts i will try the header cap but i fear its a head gasket. Let me know how you get on with the M62 climb.

thanks again

Fabian

it is the headgasket by the way, i have a mechanic who can do it where would i purchase a head gasket kit from? do these engines normally require skiming?

cheers

Fabian

I know the A3 had a similar issue in that if driven over 60mph the temp would rise into the red and only when you slowed to 50ish the temp would fall.

This turned out to be the water pump.

Above 60 there was not enough friction between the shaft and the impella so would slip therefore no coolant was being pumped but as you slowed there enough friction so it would pump the coolant.

just a thought

it is the headgasket by the way, i have a mechanic who can do it where would i purchase a head gasket kit from? do these engines normally require skiming?

cheers

Fabian

Hi Fabian
The head cannot be skimmed (see info from a previous thread) -

''I just checked the manual and according to Audi, the cyl head cannot be skimmed. The head flatness tolerance is 0.1mm - checked with a straight edge and feeler gauges. Different thickness head gaskets are used to compensate for variations in piston protrusion due to production tolerances. The procedure is to check the markings on the existing head gasket and replace it with one of the same thickness. They also recommend the head bolts are replaced at the same time and the engine is filled with new coolant.''

Cheers Spike

Thank you spike where can i buy a head gasket from as obviously VAG one seem to be poor due to the high number of failures.

cheers

Fabian

Thank you spike where can i buy a head gasket from as obviously VAG one seem to be poor due to the high number of failures.

cheers

Fabian

Hi Fabian
I don't think there is a problem with the VAG headgasket (which is still the best part you can buy) and suspect in most cases the headgasket failures were as result of low coolant level /overheating at some point in the cars life. When the alloy head overheats the gasket fire ring is crushed as the head tries to expand. The combustion seal is weakened and cylinder pressure eventually leaks to the coolant passages under load.

Check with your mechanic but I'm sure you need to check the existing headgasket identification or part number before ordering a replacement.

Cheers Spike

Back