Passenger-side main beam WAY off

Just replaced my passenger-side headlight bulb after it blew. Headlight out, bulb swap and headlight back in. Waited until nightfall before heading to a nearby car park to check the alignment. The passenger side was really low - surprisingly low. Figured I'd must have made a mistake refitting the headlight so loosened the fixing screws holding the light in position, wiggled it around and tightened it back down. Then used the adjustment screws to get the dipped beam to where it should be.

All was great until I decided to check the main beam. Passenger-side main beam is now aiming up in the sky! It's ridiculous how out it is.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what I've done wrong here? I know I can't adjust the main beam independently so how can I bring the dipped and main beam back together?

DippedMain beam

Also check the beam adjuster motor is correctly attached to the lights. You should not have to adjust the beam much if at all if replacing the bulb, you must have disturbed something, bulbs not correctly seated both dipped and main.

Just been trying to get my dipped and main beam to align - and although it looked to ok, the problem was the dipped beam bulb not sitting quite straight. Unless for some random reason the adjustment motor bust as you changed bulbs it seems fsr more likley its the bulb not sitting quite rigjt tjats doing this - even a bit out of position throws beam way out.
Chris

Hilariously, it turns out both dipped headlight bulbs were out of whack - the main beams are supposed to sit above the dipped beams, not just be a brighter light along the same path as the dipped beam. Thanks again for the guidance, everyone.

Easily done. I had a bulb go the day before the MOT and quickly changed it only to fail as it wasn't seated properly. Luckily the garage fixed it without a re-test fee. Sometimes I think it is quicker to remove the whole headlight (you don't need to disconnect the cables) as then access is much easier.

Indeed, headlight out takes so little time it's barely worth the contortion required to do it in situ(my focus was the same). Try that in a TT, Megane etc...

And by removing the headlight you can see everything is properly located and the added bonus is you can correctly refit the rear cover first time without dropping the clip or loosing skin. Just make sure the seal is fitted correctly in the cover and not half out or twisted, a little smear of vaseline on the seal ensures condensation free headlights.

Back