Peeling lacquer

Verbdog

A2OC Donor
The wife is losing faith with the car, not because of getting it through MOT's but for a very superficial thing in the lacquer coming off and large sections on the roof have gone and more affected areas are appearing on the pillars.

I've not seen it on other cars before but when I called in to Bexley Audi for a part I noticed they had an A2, same deep red with lacquer peeling everywhere, it looked in a very sorry state with cracked windscreen as well (they said it was their "don't care runaround car"!).

I'm wondering if it is just this colour affected, the mechanic at the dealership said it might be worth contacting Audi?

Otherwise are we looking at an expensive fix, I'd imagine a bodyshop would want to strip it back for a complete re-lacquer? What would that be £1000? For that the car will have to go so is there a diy fix?

Yes it is the red A2s that suffer from this.
When I saw the title j thought "Red!!!!!"

Since it is very specific surely we could approach Audi and point out that it is a build quality issue?
I know that the paintwork guarantee is long over but this is a common problem on Red A2s?

steve B

Interesting, wonder what's different in the paint or the process to create a reaction over time?

I guess the first stage is to get more numbers of affected cars to prove a fault exists, how could that happen Steve?

Interesting, wonder what's different in the paint or the process to create a reaction over time?

I guess the first stage is to get more numbers of affected cars to prove a fault exists, how could that happen Steve?

I am not sure.

Perhaps you could open a new thread with a poll attached

the title would be "Red A2 owners"

the vote would be " have you ever had a problem with the lacquer peeling on your A2?"
pergaps, for balance we could also ask owners of other colours if they have had any problems with lacquer peel? (But that might just confuse the issue?)

Does this sound like a worthy first step?
I suppose it doesn't even have to be a poll, just thread asking people to respond?

But the result is probably predictable. I believe that it would indicate the problem.

To highlight the problem even more we could ask if anyone who doesn't own a red one if they gave ever seen an A2 with lacquer peel and if so what was the colour?

dorty that this response is a bit "disjointed" I am getting s few interruptions (work !!!!!)

steve B

It's not just red audi's that have a lacquer peel problem, lots of other makes of cars suffer to, I'm not sure about recent years but most cars Audi a2 aged and older that use to come through my body shop had lacquer peel, most of the time the red had faded too. In most cases the paintwork isn't looked after properly, red should be waxed and treated regularly in the summer especially. Lacquer peel is normally started from a stone chip and peels/lifts because of bad prep in the painting process. It must be something to do with the heat the red attracts maybe with red paint? Because it shouldn't happen to origional paintwork. A good bodyshop should repaint your roof for much less that £1000! And if you need the pillars painting to they will have to paint both rear quarters too unless they do a "blow in" which I wouldnt recommend having done to a car you want to keep! Either way it should cost less than £1000.

My red is LZ3H cherry and the only lacquer peel is on the roofing strips which i believe is common on every colour. I think the issues tend to be more with the lighter coloured reds ?.

Last edited:
Just visited a forum members car yesterday to scan and he is somewhat dismayed by his lacquer peel and feels it renders the car unsellable!

He visited Audi to discuss and they suggested it was a known problem due to the paint process but of course steered clear on admitting any direct liability. It is a wider issue than just the A2 and well documented on other forums.

I like the idea Steve suggested of collating a poll on here, you never know the collective community may find a dealer that could help. Its clearly a long shot but nothing ventured?

My red is LZ3H cherry and the only lacquer peel is on the roofing strips which i believe is common on every colour. I think the issues tend to be more with the lighter coloured reds ?.
Yes, it is the lighter red that seems to be the problem.

Steve B

What was his car colour?

Scott mentioned it is an owner care issue "Red should be waxed...", this is not a challenge to Scott but my reply is where does any manufacturer tell us that when choosing a colour?

Now I've started to look around I can see the wider problem on cars of many makes, I just never experienced it before until the A2 started peeling a year or so back. If it is an industry issue would that make it more of a motor body/trading standards matter?

Screenshot_20231017_210307_Chrome.jpg

Back