Places to visit in Somerset/Bristol area?

Olerype

Hello,

going for a wedding in August in this area, and with a few days spare, thinking of what to visit. Stonehenge and Bath are considered. Any other tips?

Thanks alot!

Just come back from Wells, Somerset, delightful little city with a stunning cathedral, bishops palace and gardens are definitely worth a visit, also as previously said Cheddar Gorge is amazing but maybe busy in August.

Attachments

• 20230724_120749.jpg
    20230724_120749.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
If you want to go to Stonehenge then do consider the early morning / late evening special tours. These are limited to 30 people and you are allowed to go inside the stone circle! whereas normally you are kept at least 50m away. I did the morning one and it was fantastic - very atmospheric. In the day time the place is very busy. You must pre-book. Only downside is that the museum is closed then but you could go somewhere in Amesbury for breakfast and to back. https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/things-to-do/stone-circle-access-visits/

You could visit Wells and also Glastonbury. At Glastonbury you can walk up the Tor - steep climb but fantastic views.

Enjoy your visit.

Wells, cheddar, bath spa, tyntesfield house, Clifton suspension bridge and Ashton court, so Great Britain and bristol docklands pirate tour, Glastonbury tor is easy to see from cheddar area not much to visit nothing there really.

When I visited the Stonehenge museum 10 years ago I was disappointed. The new building is very attractive but there were few artefacts to see. It was relying on audio guides and lots of big screens. Outside they did have some reconstructed stone age huts. I think most artefacts are in the museums in Salisbury or Devizes.

Avebury is a good alternative to Stonehenge. It has a large stone circle with the village inside it. It is older than Stonehenge and is also a World Heritage Site. Avebury is an easy journey from Bath and is to the east. On the way you pass Silbury hill, ancient large man-made hill. From Avebury it is a short journey to the attractive town of Malborough.

Salisbury has a fine early English cathedral set in a very attractive "Close" of old houses.

Salisbury, Bath and Bristol get congested and parking is expensive. They all have Park & Ride (P&R) but check the last bus from the centre. Last time I used Salisbury it was circa 18:00 - more for workers and shoppers than tourists! Bristol has emissions zone charging. You need to register and pay online if you have a diesel. Foreigners may be exempt.

Last edited:
Aerospace Museum at Filton, Bristol. Exhibits include a genuine Concorde.
Mac.
Just around corner from the Mall at cribbs causeway for a shop and coffee, and also an audi dealer if the urge takes you

Very sorry for late reply and appreciation!

We had a wonderful time in UK. However as KLM lost our luggage the plans got a bit shifted, and we only got to see Bath and the quick glimse of the amazing church in Wells. Rest of the weekend was the wedding. On the way back we drove along the coastline, short visit in Bournemouth and Worthing (me nerding through the windows of Bowers&Wilkins)

Thanks alot for your advises! Next time we would visit Wells again and also Cheddar Gorge.

Back