Project ONU, the £1000 A2

dancaz79

1000013958.jpg

Good morning all! New member to the site but have been lurking on and off for a little while!

So this is it, my recently acquired A2, it has around 185,000 miles but shows 61,000 as it had a new odometer fitted prior to me buying it.
It's a 2002 1.4 TDi 75 sport, 5 seater, 4 electric windows, full DIS, climate and a working open sky!

Obviously we have a few issues which I'll try and work my way through and keep documented here. Firstly I fitted a new thermostat as the temperature on the journey home from Hartlepool to Morpeth never got above 70°C on the gauge. Bit tricky getting to the bottom bolt but got there in the end and temp now sits nicely at 90°C.

Gearbox isn't the best feeling and has a slight crunch into 3rd if you're not careful so I'll start with an oil change and see how that goes, maybe look into the 6 speed options if that doesn't improve things.

Last evidence of cambelt being changed in 2015 so thats high on the priority list!! Will do water pump,aux belt and a service while I'm in there.

Central locking doesn't work from the remote but does on the key. Passenger front door doesn't show on DIS when open so not sure if this will be a microswitch issue or a CCCU problem, more investigation required. Found the remote batteries in the fobs upside down but putting new ones in the right way round hasn't resolved the issue!

Other than that all was good until yesterday when the abs/traction light lit up along with a loud beep and red flashing dash!! OBD11 says its a 00778 steering angle sensor mechanical malfunction. Tracking isn't great on the car and pulls to the left quite badly so have booked in for a wheel alignment on Friday and will go from there.

So there we have it! Hope to use this great site to its fullest and get ONU back to running reliably in the near future.

Thanks all 👋🏻

Have you re-synced the fob to the car after changing the batteries? Holding the open button with the key in the ignition with the ignition on for 10 seconds.

Hello,

Grand looking car in the best colour. But I am biased.

Regarding the gearbox, I always found a gear oil change and adjustment of the selector mechanism to work.

Good luck with all your future projects.

Page 40 & 41 of the self study guide talks you through the gear selector mechanism adjustment process.

Attachments

• AUDI A2 self study engine gearbox.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
Reactions: bix
Hi Steve, think I tried a version of that bit no joy. Also tried the key in ignition till key light goes out then remove key and press remote but that hasn't seemed to work either. Forgot to mention the lock unlock button on the drivers door is also intermittent 🤔

3rd gear crunch is often the weak synchro on the ewq gearbox going sadly. Lots on here about 5 speed boxes to use other than EWQ.
Locks and keys sounds like a tricky one, report which CCCU you have under the passenger floor and go from there. Likely a resolder of locks required. Does fuel flap work on the button>?

Yes fuel flap works fine. Got a Saturday to myself this weekend so I shall certainly have a look at which CCCU is in there. Maybe also clear out the open sky drains too as there seems to be water around the a posts I've noticed.

Got around to servicing the A2 this weekend. Judging by the filters taken out its certainly been a while!!

While under there I noticed one of the track rod end locking nuts was loose which I imagine has been the cause of the steering angle sensor problem. Wheels aligned yesterday and abs lights have gone off so a small win there. Also noticed someone has jacked the car up incorrectly at some point as the front floors are quite damaged which is a bit of a shame.

Remote still no worky, cccu is a 'p' suffix, not sure if that's good or bad!! More investigation required...

20240203_123924.jpg20240203_123937.jpg20240203_132329.jpg20240203_132336.jpg20240203_143546.jpg

Not great then!! Is it the AF model that seems to be most reliable? Next plan is to get the passenger door card off to investigate firstly, why the window won't go down (motor is working) and secondly, investigate why the door doesn't show on the DIS when open. Might get half an hour in the garage on Sunday with any luck, although time is short at the minute due to putting in a new bathroom!!!

As I understand it, the P-suffix is the older equivalent of the later-generation AE, it's for cars with rear electric windows only. Rear electric windows can be handled by a Q- or AF-suffix, but they have to be re-coded to let them know that's what's in the car, otherwise they expect to find manual rears. However an AE would be a direct swap. I think @Ami might have one available if you need it.

There are the same issues with getting remote fobs that work with the P CCCU as there are with the Q, in that the remote half of the fobs need to not have the D suffix on its part number in order to transmit on the frequency that the P or Q is listening on. That's the next thing I'd investigate before swapping CCCU's though - a previous owner may have tried a replacement fob without doing their homework.

Thanks for that, just goes to show what a great forum this is as that's some info I certainly didn't know.
Yes the car has rear electric windows so that makes sense. Just checked the 2 key fob part numbers and they are both 8Z0 837 231, no letter suffix so I'm assuming they're probably correct?

As I understand it, the P-suffix is the older equivalent of the later-generation AE, it's for cars with rear electric windows only. Rear electric windows can be handled by a Q- or AF-suffix, but they have to be re-coded to let them know that's what's in the car, otherwise they expect to find manual rears. However an AE would be a direct swap. I think @Ami might have one available if you need it.

There are the same issues with getting remote fobs that work with the P CCCU as there are with the Q, in that the remote half of the fobs need to not have the D suffix on its part number in order to transmit on the frequency that the P or Q is listening on. That's the next thing I'd investigate before swapping CCCU's though - a previous owner may have tried a replacement fob without doing their homework.
I have Q available, and possibly a P, AE is now sold Ian, cheers

Last edited:
Just sitting having a think about my remote central locking not working, could the issue have anything to do with a replacement instrument cluster being fitted??

Back