Question for today (22/09) Petrol A2 and 10w40 semi-synthetic oil?

Cliveski

Just had our year 2000 petrol A2 serviced and MOT'd. It's done 56k miles and we don't anticipate doing more than 5,000 miles this next year.

Questioned the garage about what oil they used and was told 10w40 semi-synthetic oil, but they couldn't tell me which brand (will hopefully get this out of them when I return to collect the car).

I have read on here that others have used 10w40 semi-synthetic oil but wanted to double check this would be okay for this next year.

If I am unable to find out which oil has been used could I top-up with any 10w40 semi-synthetic oil without problems?

I would have prefered they used Castrol Edge 5w30 fully synthetic but it's too late now - will get that put in next year.

The key thing is to use an oil which meets the relavent VW standard for your engine model and service schedule (standard or long life)
The latest spec for petrol A2's is VW 504.00 and this is suitable for both std and LL services. Castrol Edge 5w30 meets this spec and VW 507.00 so its suitable for both petrol and diesels.
More details of all the VW specs and applications here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3681&d=1254822048

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike, I have that oil spec sheet printed off.
I'm on annual servicing and knew it would have to be VW504.00 or VW502.00 spec. The garage said they use Falcon oil which I guess would be Falcon Lubricants Ltd (bought by millers oil in November 2009). Have sent them an email to ask if the oil meets one of the above specs.
The garage put me a litre of oil in a bottle for me which was nice of them :)

Back