Rear drums backplate

Evoman

So new handbrake cables fitted by garage and immediately after collection there is rotational click click click sound from nearside rear on firm application of the brakes. Taken the car back and been told the backplate is so rusty that it is flexing causing it to twist and this is the noise as it pushes agains the drum. They did have to mess about with fitment of an offside handbrake cable to the nearside given they couldn't source a nearside cable.

It didn't make this sound before they fitted the handbrake cables and had new rear brake shoe kit fitted some months ago.

Is this really likely the problem and can backplates be sourced?

Thanks

If it's that bad they should have advised prior to reassembly?
Standard fitment on Polo / fabia etc rear drum axle so readily available
If the back plates have deteriorated that much worth checking the rest of the axle

Lets hope they correctly routed the handbrake cable in the clip at the base of the hub.

Never seen a rear backplate with anything other than surface corrosion. Garage telling "porkies"?

Last edited:
Reactions: bix
They told me they had to make a bracket for the handbrake cable that side because they used an offside one on the nearside. Could it be that's causing the pulling or twisting on the backplate I wonder

Lets hope they correctly routed the handbrake cable in the clip at the base of the hub.

Never seen a rear backplate with anything other than surface corrosion. Garage telling "porkies"?
If the cable isn't routed correctly in this clip would that cause an issue with application of the brake pedal?

Perhaps not an issue with the hydraulic brakes but the spring on the handbrake cake could be rubbing on the hub.

This one is incorrectly routed (hub removed)

1710359604168.jpeg

And in this picture correctly located...

index.php

The handbrake is completely mechanical and should have no effect on the hydraulic brakes unless the shoes are not correctly built / situated. Also not the handbrake cable may rub against the tyre is not secured.

Attachments

• 1710359320536.jpeg
    1710359320536.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1710359437607.jpeg
    1710359437607.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 1710359491831.jpeg
    1710359491831.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 37
I did recently replaced every single nut and bolt on my rear brakes including all 3 hand brake cables and they are talking nonsense. The backplate can't be corroded to the point that it bends when you brake and that make the noise. I think they messed up something with the final assembly and either the spring or something else is catching the drum. They might even put the self calibrating wedge other way around or didn't properly or didn't bother to calibrate the handbrake after the assembly. The rear brake cables can be used the same cable on both sides it's not ideal but doable lot of people already did it here and it works. Would you be able to take the picture of both back plates and post it here or even better take the wheel off remove the drum and take the picture of your shoes and springs we might be able to to find out what's the problem.

Some photos

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_140352807.jpg
    IMG_20240315_140352807.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20240315_140346675.jpg
    IMG_20240315_140346675.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Cleaned up the drum and backplate to remove any loose flaking rusty bits. Test drive, noise louder than ever, rotational click click click on light application of the brake pedal.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_132157108.jpg
    IMG_20240315_132157108.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240315_132212461.jpg
    IMG_20240315_132212461.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240315_132109304.jpg
    IMG_20240315_132109304.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20240315_131757891.jpg
    IMG_20240315_131757891.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
It is assembled wrongly, I'm looking for pictures of my rear brakes.

Edit can't find a picture but the parking brake lever I'm reasonably confident should be behind the shoe not in front of it. I don't think your back plates are compromised but you appear to have a developing issue with galvanic corrosion of the cylinders.

I would go for a full rebuild and if I'm correct about the lever find a better garage. I hope you paid by credit card?

Edit found a picture:

IMG_6403.JPG

Edit, it looks to me like they have fitted the OS brakes to the NS, it needs correcting.

Last edited:
They've put the rear shoes on the wrong ends of the axle 😲 according to Graham @audifan's photos they should be the other way round so that the lever pulled by the handbrake cable is on the backplate side, not the outer side. I imagine what you're hearing it's the ends of the wheel bolts against the handbrake cable. I wouldn't be using that place again.

Wow....! Okay thanks for rapid diagnosis. So reassemble correctly and all should be fine? Is it dangerous?

The sound only occurs when pressing the brake pedal

Fairly dangerous is it the wheels studs are indeed hitting a brake componenet it will cause one brake to fail yes.

Omg what an idiots they could at least take the photo before they disassembled the brakes and forget how to put it together afterwards. Then blame rusty back plate for their shady work.

Yes the cowboys have assembled the rear brakes wrongly and have managed to fit the handbrake lever in front of the shoe instead of behind it. The brake cable also looks not to be clipped in which is VERY probable the clicking issue as the hub or wheel bolts rubs on the handbrake spring or lever arm.

Time to name and shame the "garage".

Swapped over with good help of a friend, noise completely gone...

I feel I should give the garage the opportunity to respond however I did return the car to them shortly after collection informing them of the noise. That is when they came back with the response after having the car 2 days that the back plates need replacing as they are twisting due to corrosion. Though initially they thought it was a retaining pin moving and scraping again because of corrosion...

Sleep on it. You'll know more tomorrow about what's the best way to proceed.

Wow even better. So they had it for 2 days and couldn't even bother to look at it so they came with that lame excuse of its "rusty" backplate mate. I'm speechless.

Back