Rear Speakers and Loom

3wheeler

It would seem I have been a bit hasty. I have just purchased some rear speakers, amp and loom for my 2001 car. They are from a 2004 car- I forgot to ask until it was too late! Will they fit still? Thanks, Andy

Yep, they're the same items, they just weren't fitted to all the early cars, only if they had a Concert or a Symphony headunit optioned or as part of the spec. Depending on what loom you've bought though, if it includes the door connections, those may be different on your car.

Morning Andy,

You should be fine with what you’ve purchased Sir. I’m guessing the aforementioned Rear Speaker Retrofit kit in question is the very same kit which was recently available on eBay.

Ian is correct in stating there is a difference in the connectors between the years in question here. Your earlier generation A2 will have the doors electrics and the 2x rear speaker wires housed 2 separate connectors which slide together. From memory the actual pins in these connectors are the same size so can be used in both the early and later connection.

Ultimately there is 2 options open to you:

1. De-pin your B pillar connectors and convert to the later type connector
2. De-pin the connectors from your purchase and push them into the earlier type connectors which you’ll have to obtain. Below is what you’ll be after:

8Z0972904
IMG_4158.jpeg

8Z0972703
IMG_7175.jpeg

Hope this helps, get in touch if you need any further advice.

Kind regards,

Tom

Morning Andy,

You should be fine with what you’ve purchased Sir. I’m guessing the aforementioned Rear Speaker Retrofit kit in question is the very same kit which was recently available on eBay.

Ian is correct in stating there is a difference in the connectors between the years in question here. Your earlier generation A2 will have the doors electrics and the 2x rear speaker wires housed 2 separate connectors which slide together. From memory the actual pins in these connectors are the same size so can be used in both the early and later connection.

Ultimately there is 2 options open to you:

1. De-pin your B pillar connectors and convert to the later type connector
2. De-pin the connectors from your purchase and push them into the earlier type connectors which you’ll have to obtain. Below is what you’ll be after:

8Z0972904
View attachment 109282

8Z0972703
View attachment 109283

Hope this helps, get in touch if you need any further advice.

Kind regards,

Tom
Fantastic advice- thanks, and yes, this was the set on Ebay. I won't know what I've truly got til I get stuck in- currently I am fitting a new OSS bracket and retrimming the headliner! There maybe a slight delay on this thread! I will have to see what has been supplied loom wise- the seller said I have too much for the job, but maybe thats because there are some items that aren't useable...

I have just purchased some rear speakers, amp and loom for my 2001 car.
Is your 2001 A2 genuinely a 2001 model year, or is it a 2002 model year on a 51-plate registration?
If you’re happy to share your car’s VIN, we’ll know for sure.

Either way, the 2004 rear door looms that you’ve bought will not be plug-n-play. There were changes to the door connectors between 2001 and 2002, and between 2002 and 2004. So, work will have to be done to address incompatibility issues no matter what.

Cheers,

Tom

Is your 2001 A2 genuinely a 2001 model year, or is it a 2002 model year on a 51-plate registration?
If you’re happy to share your car’s VIN, we’ll know for sure.

Either way, the rear door looms that you’ve bought will not be plug-n-play. There were changes to the door connectors between 2001 and 2002, and between 2002 and 2004. So, work will have to be done to address incompatibility issues no matter what.

Cheers,

Tom
Its a 'Y'reg. Registered 19 April 2001.

Ok, that’s definitely a 2001 model year. You’re dealing with the biggest differences in door connector design.

Cheers,

Tom
OK, happy days. I have 3 options I can see: 1) Start modifications. 2) Sell this kit again and buy 2001 kit which I guess is harder to obtain 3) Sell this kit and use Front speakers as Audi intended! What is the cost and availability of a plug&play assembly? Thanks

Fantastic advice- thanks, and yes, this was the set on Ebay. I won't know what I've truly got til I get stuck in- currently I am fitting a new OSS bracket and retrimming the headliner! There maybe a slight delay on this thread! I will have to see what has been supplied loom wise- the seller said I have too much for the job, but maybe thats because there are some items that aren't useable...
Evening Andy,

Apologies for not coming back to you sooner Sir, away from online devices whilst at work all day. I'm guessing the below pictures are what you purchased:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

As you already know, this kit is from a later generation A2. With your A2 being of a first generation the connectors will of course be different. That said, regardless of the door electrics wiring within the supplied connectors with this kit, the 2 wires associated with the rear speakers are all you're concerned about. The 2 speaker wire pins can be removed from the connectors and pushed into the connectors in the pictures (once obtained) I added this morning. Very easy to do and happy to remotely assist. As long as you're confident in getting the necessary wires to the rear of the head unit and also the 2 power wires along with earth then its actually quite an easy task. You'll have to remove some interior trim panels to complete the retrofit as per the manufacturer but again, easy enough to do.

What I cannot see in the pictures above is the tweeters (easy to obtain from one of our resident breakers) or the connector with the amplifier signal wires/pins, these could be hidden underneath the speaker though; worth adding pictures of what you have once it all arrived.

The below thread should help out with the wiring from the Bosch amplifier to the head unit:

Happy to help out where I can as about to add rear speakers to one of the fleet. I notice you're also receiving support from another Tom so you'll have rear speaker sorted soon enough.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
HI Tom Thankyou- yes I will examine what I have- £45 seemed a good price for this. The seller claims there is 'more than I need' there, but whatever that means! I couldn't see tweeters ether and will need to unpack to see what I have got properly. I think thats best done sooner than later! I am OK with tools and stuff, but wiring isn't my forte. I will message you further once I know exactly what I've got!

Brilliant Andy,

Good luck with the items and the retrofit. Study the links provided as there is plenty of information contained within them. The tweeters and anything that’s deemed as missing will be very easy to come by for pennies, might even have some spares in the garage which you can have for the cost of delivery, let me know once your purchase arrives.

Happy to remotely assist if necessary Sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

regardless of the door electrics wiring within the supplied connectors with this kit, the 2 wires associated with the rear speakers are all you're concerned about.
No. You cannot just concern yourself with the 2 speakers wires. This neglects the incompatibility of the central locking wiring.
Adding an extra 2-pin connector allows you to send audio signals to the rear doors, but the total job is more complex than you’ve either envisaged or portrayed. I doubt Andy would accept rear speakers at the expense of rear doors with working central locking.

Andy, the reality of the situation is this…
The purchased kit, which purported to have “more than you need” is seemingly far from complete. The wiring from the stereo to the amp is incomplete, and the wiring from the amp to the rear doors is also incomplete. From what I can see in the photos, there are three required connectors missing. The tweeters are also missing, at least from the photos.
Furthermore, there is the issue of incompatibility between your car and the supplied rear door wiring looms, the resolution of which is more complicated than has been implied in the posts above. For the central locking system, the physical connector designs, terminal designs and terminal arrangements are all different. The only viable way of overcoming these issues is the method that I mentioned in yesterday’s PMs.

I don’t wish to seem like a doomsday machine, nor do I wish to be at all discouraging, but I am a realist. I have done this upgrade countless times, on A2s of all ages, using parts from other A2s of all ages. I have a complete understanding of the job, and plenty of first-hand experience of actually doing it. A lot needs to be overcome to convert your eBay purchase into a working system in your 2001 A2.

Best wishes,

Tom

Last edited:
No. You cannot just concern yourself with the 2 speakers wires. This neglects the incompatibility of the central locking wiring.
Adding an extra 2-pin connector allows you to send audio signals to the rear doors, but the total job is more complex than you’ve either envisaged or portrayed. I doubt Andy would accept rear speakers at the expense of rear doors with working central locking.

Andy, the reality of the situation is this…
The purchased kit, which purported to have “more than you need” is seemingly far from complete. The wiring from the stereo to the amp is incomplete, and the wiring from the amp to the rear doors is also incomplete. From what I can see in the photos, there are three required connectors missing. The tweeters are also missing, at least from the photos.
Furthermore, there is the issue of incompatibility between your car and the supplied rear door wiring looms, the resolution of which is more complicated than has been implied in the posts above. For the central locking system, the physical connector designs, terminal designs and terminal arrangements are all different. The only viable way of overcoming these issues is the method that I mentioned in yesterday’s PMs.

I don’t wish to seem like a doomsday machine, nor do I wish to be at all discouraging, but I am a realist. I have done this upgrade countless times, on A2s of all ages, using parts from other A2s of all ages. I have a complete understanding of the job, and plenty of first-hand experience of actually doing it. A lot needs to be overcome to convert your eBay purchase into a working system in your 2001 A2.

Best wishes,

Tom
Hello Tom,

Apologies for not responding sooner. I didn’t actually see you had responded to me or this thread at all, must have accidentally tapped the ignore member button. I often accidentally do this or accidentally follow someone whilst tapping away on the iPhone with my fat fingers.

Depending on how the retrofit is conducted (separating the supplied door loom) then we are both correct as have done it in the past. I’ve already been in touch with Andy who has confirmed that he is getting you to conduct the retrofit anyway. Happy to step away as was only here to help out a fellow member.

Kind regards,

Tom

I also need to add that (in theory) the seller has agreed to send me the missing tweeters FOC. I think they will materialise. Thanks Toms!

Just curious about why anyone cares about rear speakers?

I have audiophile pretensions with a decent set up at home. I don't put speakers behind me there, except for surround sound effects in movies. In my daily driver, the first thing I did was bypass the included 'upgrade' Harmon Kardon system. I have three Focal amplifiers in the boot feeding a fully active 3 way sound system - all drivers in the front and time aligned to the driver's seat.

Only thing I could countenance behind creating sound is a subwoofer. (Low frequencies not being directional.) Possibly a nice fruity exhaust system.

IMHO money and effort much better spent on upgraded speakers or even a little digital amp.

Of course each to their own.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

I hear you. At lower frequency. I did upgrade the speakers by adding four at the rear. The system is much better now. Of course I do wonder what the BOSE sounds like now! But, I can listen to my 80s and 90s music with all the road noise that means a darkened hushed room of a true audiophile remains a dream. But, it sounds fantastic in my A2.

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

Back