Rebuilding a sport chair.

Just thought I’d share my decision to turn a pair of front seats into a new drivers seat.

For those out there with sad bolsters.

Tools required:

Sewing machine.
Sharp Bread knife. (Foam cutting)
Couple of Torx tools.
Spray glue.

I’ve taken a few pictures along the journey which I’ll post in order. But roughly the process was……..

1) Buy a much better passenger seat from @2work (thanks).

2) Dismantling the 2 front seats I had.

3) After a bit of bolster stuffing I Used the seat base from the passenger side as a base for the drivers side, (next time I might try and reshape the foam to fill the scooped out bit now on the right hand side of the drivers side, and maybe scoop out the side that fits against the gearshift, but it fits fine as is)
The seat base to use on the now drivers side was rebuilt with new top of bolstering from the unworn inside edge of the old driver side glued in place of the outside edge of the old passenger side.

4) Unstitch the undamaged bolster from the drivers side seat, and the airbag side one from the passenger one.

4.5)re stitch the 2 parts.

5) machine wash on gentle wash covers whilst off.

6) Make a foam back for the drivers seat by cutting out the bit for the air bag. And filling the old hole for the airbag with a section from the old driver side foam.

7) Reassemble back foam. (Cutting out hole for airbag).

8) reassemble seat.

Before………
373d303989cf56bcc29db0cff0b7d20b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great work Tony,

Nicely completed project. Looks so much better. Such dedication. You must be very happy with the outcome and just shows what can be done with a seat that some would have just sent to the tip.

Kind regards,

Tom

I’m not sure. He’s definitely still about. But I’ve got a few bits of cloth still knocking about. Happy to help with any sewing if you’re struggling.

Tony.

This looks great. Well done! I'm about to embark on a similar path. Does @2work still deal in seats?
I’m not sure. He’s definitely still about. But I’ve got a few bits of cloth still knocking about. Happy to help with any sewing if you’re struggling.

Tony.
Morning James and Tony,

Yes I’m still about. Unfortunately I don’t deal in seats, I just had a spare seat (cannot remember how I had it now) which wasn’t being used in the garage so was happy to pass it on to assist Tony achieve what you’ve seen earlier in this post.

Locating a similar seat shouldn’t be a difficult task. Keep looking within the Market Forum for when someone upgrades to a leather interior as you just never know how cheap you might pick up a set of cloth seats.

Looking at what Tony was able to achieve though, then I would be taking his offer to assist with the seeing element as what is presented in the pictures above are absolutely spot on.

If I had a spare seat here you could have it but I don’t have such items here, sorry.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Back