Red Oil Pressure Warning Light

HowdiAudi

Hello out there, this is my first post regarding my dear old Audi. My car is a 2001 plate 1.4 petrol A2. I’ve owned it since it was 3 years old and it’s been regularly serviced and maintained first by the Audi garage and now by a thoroughly good independent. I have an issue with the red warning oil pressure light so any advice would be appreciated. Before starting any long journey I check it’s oil level and give it a once over. After driving long distances on the motorway it would need topping up with oil but it would be okay for short journeys. It’s had a minor oil leak listed as an advisory on its MOT. The independent garage identified the leak to the breather unit which was replaced on Friday. However using it over the weekend the red oil pressure light came on again…. and there appears to be a drip of oil in the drip tray underneath it. I will contact the garage on Monday but thought I would ask here first for any suggestions or advice. Many thanks.

Hi

Was it the oil separator that got changed do you know, looks like the attached picture and is located at the left back of the engine as you look at it from the front. It may be that they have fitted a poorly fitting part. That may account for the drips you are seeing on the undertray. Not sure it would account for an oil pressure warning light.

F5764C0C-E959-4957-841E-3ECE37377A19.jpeg

One of my AUA oil pressure sensor failures (red oil pressure light) the sensor itself had sprung a leak internally, resulting in a dribble of oil running through the connector and down the front of the engine and onto the undertray. Solution was to replace the sensor with a new one (making sure to transfer the washer facing the block over from the old one to the new one) - warning light and leak solved in about 5 minutes of work.

Hi

Was it the oil separator that got changed do you know, looks like the attached picture and is located at the left back of the engine as you look at it from the front. It may be that they have fitted a poorly fitting part. That may account for the drips you are seeing on the undertray. Not sure it would account for an oil pressure warning light.

View attachment 105296
Hi - I’m really not sure, the garage called it a breather but I’ll check it out with them.

One of my AUA oil pressure sensor failures (red oil pressure light) the sensor itself had sprung a leak internally, resulting in a dribble of oil running through the connector and down the front of the engine and onto the undertray. Solution was to replace the sensor with a new one (making sure to transfer the washer facing the block over from the old one to the new one) - warning light and leak solved in about 5 minutes of work.
Hi - thank you for the advice, the warning light came on just after I turned a sharp right hand corner, don’t know if that’s relevant or not?? The engine looks clean and the engine compartment too, so I think the leak must be coming from deep down somewhere…?

Hi - thank you for the advice, the warning light came on just after I turned a sharp right hand corner, don’t know if that’s relevant or not?? The engine looks clean and the engine compartment too, so I think the leak must be coming from deep down somewhere…?
So if it came on after a sharp turn it’s probably level rather than pressure, although I guess if it momentarily starved of oil until car level again it might be enough to trigger. Well worth double checking the overall oil level.

Best to get the car scanned to see what faults are logged. If it's correctly reporting low (or no😮) oil pressure then you need to get this fixed as soon as possible and in the meantime don't drive the car as it could destroy the engine!

Firstly it is important to correctly diagnose which exact warning light is coming on and any other warning lights. Also important that the oil level is not only correct but the correct grade of oil is being used. The dip stick needs to be intact to correctly gauge the level. When was the car serviced with correct oil and new oil filter?

Scan will certainly help but the basics must be there first.

Back