Removing steering column trim?

Riba

Ireland
Plenty of info about removing the trim under the wheel, but I need to replace the ignition barrel lock and in order to do that I need to remove the plastic trim around the steering column itself. There are two screws in the front that are obvious but before starting the project I decided to ask first and not once I get stuck. :)

Also, should I worry about the immobilizer? Asking because none of my keys have a code and no remote lock either so I guess there is nothing to be concerned about? A2 for irish maket, steering wheel, engine and wheels are all the equipment we got.

Evening Riba,

This picture should help to understand where the 5 crews are for the steering column cowling trim panels:

IMG_7300.jpeg

The picture was taken from the online manual whilst may help further:

Once the steering wheel and its airbag is removed then you should be minutes away from getting access to the ignition barrel. Note: you’ll need a thin cross head screwdriver for the 2x item 4 screws.

Kind regards,

Tom

Reactions: Ami
So the steering wheel needs to come off first.... and I need to get a think long neck cross head screwdriver as I won't have any in my toolbox.

Thanks!

So the steering wheel needs to come off first.... and I need to get a think long neck cross head screwdriver as I won't have any in my toolbox.

Thanks!

Hi Riba,

Yes the steering wheel and its airbag need to be removed first. If you use the link and go to the beginning of the G85 removal guide and all will be revealed Sir.

Please read as much as possible regards working with airbags before commencing the task if you've not removed the steering wheel before.

Once the steering wheel is removed ensure the G85 (Slip Ring/Steering Angle Sensor isn't moved as this can cause the ABS light to illuminate which will require the G85 Sensor recalibrating afterwards. Easy enough to do on VCDS, you need to login first using 40168 at the login code; only done this for someone the other day so still fresh in my head should you run into trouble, that said there are plenty of useful guise spread across the internet but I prefer to follow the guides direct from the Ross-Tech Forum.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks! Did it in the past on different cars so I should be good to go. Also got VCDS in case I need it.

Back