Replacing an A2?

will26

There's no other car like it. I'd be really sorry to see it go, despite it having a lot of problems of late.

If Audi had remade the A2 - perhaps a super light electric car, i'd be all over it. !

What's the nearest modern day car? The BMW i3? Has anyone made that move?

An i3 is a great little car, quite similar to the A2 for quirky character - but only if the rel limited range works for you - enthusiasts get stuck into the v variable UK charger and enjoy all the planning - we are lucky enough to have an A2 for long trips an i3 for everything up to around 100miles.

Yeah, I have both ... A2 TDi and i3s 120ah. Normal cars feel slow, rough and noisy once you have got used to electric.

Well, there was serious talk a decade ago about Audi building an A0, their own version of the VW Up. It was to have been the top-of-the-range model, better finished and with a performance petrol engine or electric. In the end they became the Up GTI and the 32 kW e-Up respectively. I waited years for the AO to appear, and finally settled for an e-Up, which is targeted at drivers half - maybe even a third - of my age. After any Audi (and we've had A2, A3, Q2 and Q3) it feels pitifully short of modern comforts, and the lack of options on purchase was shocking. But it's a hoot to drive, and we still have the Q3 for longer distances. The A2 doesn't stray too far from home these days.

Afternoon,

I can also confidently say that the i3 is a great choice if you don’t commute too far. I know Aris @flashzero sold his stunning FSI to get an i3 which I’ve had a drive in. I really liked it and have test drove a few now. With my lack of commuting these days I have actually considered releasing the whole A2 fleet to get an i3 or 2.

My admiration for the A2 and the fact that I have 2 very sorted examples is the only reason why I’ve not currently made the switch.

Kind regards,

Tom

I had an electric car (Nissan and MG - Chinese MG) for total of 6yrs and I loved it, as @PlasticMac said with EV lots lots of spare time as only "parts" needed were tyres and you have to top up washer from time to time, A2 would be great base to became EV - small outside but big enough inside, and aluminium body so very light, with EV this days (price of kWh) its good to have if range is ok with your needs and you don't have to rely on public chargers, unfortunately due to public chargers pricing miles per kWh are notthat far from mpg (diesel mpg) but if you can charge at home with help of cheap night tariff or solar it is way to go

My daughter's partner has had an i3 Rex for many years and is very positive about it and manages to drive quite some distances in rural Scotland though I note every time he is out and about and parks it, it has to be at a charger.

Like the A2, the i3 has a lot of steel in the suspension and the fasteners and last year they needed a big refresh (maybe salt on the roads in Scotland). The only garage he felt he could entrust the car to was Wisely Automotive in London (combined with flying abroad for a holiday). I get the impression that Wisely is to i3s like WOM is to A2s.

I've come close to buying one myself. If we were a 2 car family I'm sure the i3 120A and an A2 would be the models but as we are not then I've hesitated. Also, the cost of parts and servicing. (e.g, another driver hit his wing mirror and a whole new unit and labour was over £1,000).

Sadly no i3 OC anything like the A2 equiv!

Almost all our charging is at home on an ordinary ‘green’ electric tariff - without trying to be super econ comes out at equiv fuel cost to a 90mpg ICE car - but most of that benefit lost if you can’t charge at home.

It does make an A2 seem extra noisy!

But we still love the space and general wonderfulness so A2 secure here!

it is when you want to do some distance.
The A2 is simply stunning...kills the EV any day.
Go and get an EV for less than 5K and then ask it to do >200miles in a day..

There's no other car like it. I'd be really sorry to see it go, despite it having a lot of problems of late.

If Audi had remade the A2 - perhaps a super light electric car, i'd be all over it. !

What's the nearest modern day car? The BMW i3? Has anyone made that move?
When the A1 came out I really didn't want to like it because I loved A2s so much and felt it was a poor replacement. Until one day I was given one as a courtesy car whilst my A2 was being serviced. By the time I got to work I was a bit in love. That was about 10 year ago and I eventually got one last summer. It's not as versatile as an A2- its great for me at 5' 3", but less so for Gary at over 6 foot who crack his head getting in. But there are things you can see they have improved on from the A2 particularly the pop up display on the top of the dash (newr versions dont have that though) and not having the somewhat unreliable fuel filler button. Space inside is no where near as good as the A2, but it's such a comfortable drive

it is when you want to do some distance.
The A2 is simply stunning...kills the EV any day.
Go and get an EV for less than 5K and then ask it to do >200miles in a day..
if someone have to do >200 a day then EV switch isn't for him,
my daily is 70miles so with my last EV I could stretch it to 3 days in summer on one charge at £1.50 a day

I'm seriously considering an i3 (pretty much the only EV I'd consider) as I believe I found myself in the perfect scenario for it. Right now I mostly need a car for a 80 km round trip commute few times a week (plus have a free charging station at the office), and for that purpose i3 would seem like a perfect fit. I'd still keep A2 for an odd long trip here and there.

The i3 Rex was going to be a replacement for the A2 except my wife loves driving the A2 and she refuses to drive an automatic so the idea was shelved.

That said I think the i3 like the i8 will become a classic in time. I know BMW lost money on the i8 at the price they had to sell it at which I suspect killed it off, much like Audi with the A2. When I do a re-org on the fleet I might buy myself an i3 Rex.

My A2 was "replaced" - well, retired is a better word - with an Octavia (boot space, rear seat space, 1.0TSi for economy), then another Octy but in estate form, and now for the last 2 years I've been driving a Superb 4x4 TDI. it's a world away from the A2 - but I've done over 70k kms in that time and reliability is a question mark on the A2. Comfort, a certain amount of space, but a wallowy ride.. and then the grip from 4x4 is awesome. As are the drifts... :D
Replacing the Superb is now on the horizon, so... it's either a petrol one, a V60/V90 AWD Hybrid (which would do all my in-town stuff on electricity) or the outlier is a 4x4 Enyaq. Bearing in mind my commute is 500 miles return, I see no issue with this. I have 150kW chargers, here, half way down on both routes, again elsewhere on those routes, and I'd be looking at a slow charge in the office. Wife doesn't like the idea, though, so it's not going to happen.
The Hybrid is so cheap on the tax and fuel should be reasonable-ish... and a V90 is even bigger than the superb so should still offer a decent ride. A2 in the mean time is mainly my offspring's car in the summer.
But even then, the packaging of the A2 is incredible. So much space for 4+luggage in such a small footprint... the Superb's a complete metre longer.

Back