Reverse light on when in or passing neutral

putyourmittenson

Hi all,

Just need a quick bit of advice. Discovered this morning that the reverse light is on when in neutral or passing neutral. So every gear change is causing it to come on momentarily. The reverse switch seems to function OK by providing a short circuit when pressed.

So what could it be?

Am I looking in the wrong place?
Is the switch still at fault by closing to soon or something?

Regards, Michael

Edit: TDI 90 if that makes a difference to the switch properties.

Last edited:
Afternoon Michael,

Had this before on one of the fleet which turned out to be a faulty reverse light switch, it was an AMF but sure the transmission tower arrangement doesn’t differ that much with the ATL arrangement.

Have a look at this thread to understand what’s involved to replace the switch, note it might be slightly different for your TDI90:

Kind regards,

Tom

Afternoon Michael,

Had this before on one of the fleet which turned out to be a faulty reverse light switch, it was an AMF but sure the transmission tower arrangement doesn’t differ that much with the ATL arrangement.

Have a look at this thread to understand what’s involved to replace the switch, note it might be slightly different for your TDI90:

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thank you. So it’s very possibly an issue with the switch closing sooner than it should for whatever reason. I will get a new switch and swap it out then.

Hi Tom,

Thank you. So it’s very possibly an issue with the switch closing sooner than it should for whatever reason. I will get a new switch and switch it out then.
Hi Michael,

Before you open your wallet for a new switch it might be worth watching the selector tower movements to see if there is anything obvious that’s causing it to trigger it seemingly being in reverse. You’ll need an assistant to cycle through the gears from inside the car whilst you watch the movement within the engine bay.

I’m certainly no expert on this subject and just went for a new switch myself which fortunately resolved the issue.

Good luck with this annoying niggle.

Kind regards.

Tom

Back