Chat Scrap it or make it a project? Update: a project it is!

Riba

Ireland
Going to check this little fella out this Sunday:

Not familiar with the diesels and need some opinion from the members if it would be worth saving or just scavenge it for parts.

I own a 1.4 petrol and while it is cosmetically a bit rough, mechanically it is very sound and has been a reliable daily ride for almost a year now. For the asking price I'd consider it for the alloys and tyres alone with a few other parts that I could switch over. On the other hand if it looks decent I'd feel bad to scrap it if it could be put back on the road with a bit of effort. I know it is hard to give informed opinion without checking it in person, I will know more in a few days and will take a VCDS reading from it.

From what I know, wishbones can be sourced, I will check the condition of the gear knob cables as these could be a deal breaker... engine has a lot of miles but there might be still life left in it (?). Let me know if there is anything in particular I need to pay attention to while inspecting the car that will help with the decision.

Thanks a mil!

Last edited:
Wishbones are common, auto doc, eBay etc.
the gear issue is probably a worn gearbox tower bearing, and the gearbox oil will be full of water.

Wishbones are common, auto doc, eBay etc.
the gear issue is probably a worn gearbox tower bearing, and the gearbox oil will be full of water.
Is there a gear issue being mentioned, I think I missed that (?)

Edit: Ah, I see now that I brought it in the discussion but only besause I know those are impossible to find now. For all I know they are probably fine, just thinking in advance of possible major headaches.

From NCT it is mostly suspension and brakes, that should be quite straightforward to sort out.

Last edited:
What can I say, it seems it is true they tend to multiply. 🙃

DSC_2280.JPG

Finally got a chance to do a quick visual inspection during daytime today.

Interior is in really sound condition, nothing broken/cracked or heavily worn out.

There is a scuff/crack on the rear bumper, need to check if there is any damage hidden under it:

DSC_2286.JPG

The fuel and interior monitor switches are held together by sellotape and will need a replacement.

DSC_2287.JPG

Rear brake rotor covers are literally crumbling to dust, will be taken care of during brake overhaul in the future.

DSC_2288.JPG

Also found out water dripping from the passenger door card and the bottom of the card is damp. There is a water ingress somewhere but there is no gap between the glass and the door frame. Any ideas?

On the positive side, the bottom engine cover is not missing. I'll finally do a VCDS reading in the following days.

Alloys are true and undamaged but the paint has peeled off at spots and would benefit from a refurbishment.

Last edited:
Bad news - the car has been rear-ended at some point in the past. That much I suspected from the cracks in the rear bumper, but I just found out that the metal frame has been pushed in a few centimeters. I suspect such damage is impossible or very expensive to repair, so at this point scrapping it is still a possibility. I'll check what would it take to make it roadworthy again, if it is not too much of an investment it may serve as a backup vehicle, but if it turns out to be an expensive affair it will be scavenged for parts. A shame really. :-/

Car doesn't seem to be crooked from the pictures. Is it bent really bad? Is the chassis bent or only the rear bumper support?

Depends what someone considers "really bad"...I'd say chassis has taken a hit because the metal on the back side of the battery/tools compartment is pushed in by an inch at least, but I don't think that the frame is compromised. I will share some photos tomorrow morning, but removal of the bumper cover will be needed to assess the damage.

Depends what someone considers "really bad"...I'd say chassis has taken a hit because the metal on the back side of the battery/tools compartment is pushed in by an inch at least, but I don't think that the frame is compromised. I will share some photos tomorrow morning, but removal of the bumper cover will be needed to assess the damage.
Ouch 😣

It's to your advantage. Use this 90 as a donor buy another 90 with a good shell.

A Spice Girls Christmas classic.

Attachments

• IMG_20190322_095034796.jpg
    IMG_20190322_095034796.jpg
    960.8 KB · Views: 68
With determination, time and support from others the job is achievable.

With determination, time and support from others the job is achievable.
Thanks, I'm counting on the community support. I can secure time and determination. First step VCDS scan, second step is rear bumper cover removal and we'll take it from there.

Is it really a problem if its not causing an issue?
That's a fair point. The boot lid closes and locks fine. The biggest issue is that the false floor can't fold down without deforming it and the tools/battery area is a bit compressed. :)

That's a fair point. The boot lid closes and locks fine. The biggest issue is that the false floor can't fold down without deforming it and the tools/battery area is a bit compressed. :)
Whilst that's certainly not desirable, quite frankly if it was mine I would run it as is, to scrap seems harsh when there could well be a good few years left in it but appreciate we all have to make our own decisions!

Use it without false floor 🤷🏼‍♂️ better sell it to someone that will know that it has taken a hit and is OK with it rather than scrapping it 😉

Today's update:
Yesterday I had a bunch of ABS and engine faults reported by VCDS but knowing better and feeling it was a bit lazy to start up I took the battery out and gave it a full charge. Installed battery back this morning and took it for a short spin around the neighbourhood. After a couple of minutes the engine light came on, but VCDS could not pull engine fault codes. If I try to scan Engine controller it times out. Other systems are scanned fine and no faults reported at all. I think yesterday it took a few attempts to get the engine codes as well.

Registered VCDS and cable from Ross-Tech.

Last edited:
Managed to pull the engine fault codes, not sure what to make of it:

4 Faults Found:

17055 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit (Q10)
P0671 - 35-10 - Electrical Fault - Intermittent
17056 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit (Q11)
P0672 - 35-10 - Electrical Fault - Intermittent
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12)
P0673 - 35-10 - Electrical Fault - Intermittent
19559 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157)
P3103 - 35-10 - Malfunction - Intermittent

Is it possible that all the glow plugs are faulty or should I look elsewhere?

Back