Scuttle Panel Fixings.

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
I have a leakey windscreen, and it is being replacemed tomorrow. I have removed the scuttle, and freed of the wiper spindles as preparation.
The back edge of the scuttle has male ribs, that latch onto grooves in a trim that is under the screen. Should that trim be loose, as mine is, or bedded in screen sealant?
Mac.

As far as i remember it should be bonded to the bottom of the windscreen Mac. My genuine Audi screen came with it in place.

Last edited:
Hi Mac. The one on ours is press-fit but maybe I misunderstood the question. Can you point the part in question on a diagram?

Hi Mac. The one on ours is press-fit but maybe I misunderstood the question. Can you point the part in question on a diagram?
It's pouring with rain, so I'll try words.
The scuttle edge "ribs" push fit into grooves in a plastic trim that protrudes a little from under the screen. In mine that trim is retained under the screen, and won't pull out, but it is free to move a little, so is not bonded into the mastic. Wondering if it should be.
Mac.

OK got it. The panel can be taken out with a firm pull and then it will clip into place with a firm push with the palm of your hand or a small rubber mallet. There has never been any mastic on ours and the windscreen has been replaced 2 times so far.

OK got it. The panel can be taken out with a firm pull and then it will clip into place with a firm push with the palm of your hand or a small rubber mallet. There has never been any mastic on ours and the windscreen has been replaced 2 times so far.
Cheers, that's good to know. I think the leaks are down each side, but did wonder about the bottom edge, with the loose trim.
Mac

The channel that the water box cover / scuttle clips into at the bas eof the screen must be completely free of any debris. It is indeed only clipped in but needs a clear channel to fit properly. Check the condition of the foam under the scuttle as this is how the water is directed.

Cheers, that's good to know. I think the leaks are down each side, but did wonder about the bottom edge, with the loose trim.
Mac
If your screen is original the adhesive dries out over time and so doesn't adhere anymore creating gaps that allow water in.
This happened to one of mine many years ago, probably at around 10 years old and I had the original screen removed cleaned and refitted and it was perfect afterwards 👍

The channel that the water box cover / scuttle clips into at the bas eof the screen must be completely free of any debris. It is indeed only clipped in but needs a clear channel to fit properly. Check the condition of the foam under the scuttle as this is how the water is directed.
Cheers, the foam is in poor condition, especially at each end, so I'm replacing it.
Mac. I

I
If your screen is original the adhesive dries out over time and so doesn't adhere anymore creating gaps that allow water in.
This happened to one of mine many years ago, probably at around 10 years old and I had the original screen removed cleaned and refitted and it was perfect afterwards 👍
It's not the original, changed before my stewardship. Seems to have been poorly done, leaks both sides. I've removed the scuttle, and made sure the wiper will come off without a struggle.
Mac.

Reactions: A2Z
I have asked several windscreen companies to remove the screen which is an unmarked Pilkington one, and refit it, but not one of them would.
I'll try again, at the National Windscreens workshop, face to face might work 🤞.
Mac.

Back