Soft Touch Climate Control Panel Tidy Up

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I thought I’d put a few words together after receiving a recently purchased soft touch climate control panel that needed a quick/general tidy up.

First up to note is that is particular panel already had the worn soft tough buttons swapped for hard touch buttons; probably from an A4 unit or similar.

Here’s the look of the item in the sale thread:

IMG_8667.png

Looks nice enough but knew that the fascia needed attention. Here is it in natural daylight:

IMG_8674.jpeg

Yes it’s seen better days but it was exactly what I expected from the sale post, a purchase that I’m totally happy with I must add.

The main thing is that it was in decent overall condition and already sported hard touch buttons. All that is required was to strip it down to remove the years of accumulated dust and remove the soft touch paint from the fascia. A task that only takes some 30 minutes and no more.

Ahead of me showing you what 30 minutes of cleaning with a sponge soaked in alcohol can achieve, let’s get a little more intimate with this item.

I won’t go into detail of the strip down as I’m quite sure it’s been mentioned many a time and there is no doubt a How To somewhere on the Clubs pages. All I’ll say is that these can be dismantled in minutes with a quality T6 screwdriver.

Here’s the dismantled panel showing the layers of dust that needed to be wiped away:

IMG_8669.jpeg

IMG_8670.jpeg

Here it is again but this time free of dust:

IMG_8672.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

Once the housing and PCBs were finished off with a quick pass of alcohol I then removed the hard touch buttons to clean the fascia.

You’ve seen the fascia above so won’t show that again pre-treatment which consisted of 10 minutes soak in warm soapy water. Then using a tired dish washing (non-scratch) sponge soaked in alcohol I gently rubbed away the paint to reveal the Soul Black plastic beneath. The soft touch paint comes away very quickly once warmed up and easily wiped away with a slight scrub with the alcohol soaked sponge.

Here’s the climate panel reassembled after drying it off with the hairdryer:

IMG_8675.jpeg

Before it makes its way into an A2 I will of course be taking it apart again to get a few thin layers of satin black paint on the fascia to look its best; but for 30 minutes work I’d say that’s quite a transformation.

I’ll possibly add to this short thread once I get the primer and paint out.

Kind regards,

Tom

Looks great did you spray it in the end, if so which paint did you use?
Evening,

I honestly cannot remember if I painted this particular climate panel fascia. If I did it would have been with either Halfords Satin Black or Volico Soul Black paint.

I think this actual item above went into a car in Wales that I added a Soul Double DIN Dashboard to as part payment for a Votex kit.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening,

I honestly cannot remember if I painted this particular climate panel fascia. If I did it would have been with either Halfords Satin Black or Volico Soul Black paint.

I think this actual item above went into a car in Wales that I added a Soul Double DIN Dashboard to as part payment for a Votex kit.

Kind regards,

Tom
i think it looks fine when you removed the soft touch great job I am looking to do the same, however gear plastic surround will need re doing
i keep hearing about Volico Soul Black on this forum. but not available in the UK i believe.

i think it looks fine when you removed the soft touch great job I am looking to do the same, however gear plastic surround will need re doing
i keep hearing about Volico Soul Black on this forum. but not available in the UK i believe.
No unfortunately not,

There are ways around this though via our friend Rick @Rickmeister. Keep looking out for his threads where he mentions a group order. All instructions/ information will be mentioned in the next thread he starts, which I beleive is going to be towards the end of this month.

Kind regards,

Tom

Good Evening Tom,

A high standard of work as normal but an oddity, the original soft touch paint does not match the year 2001 backbox.

Andy

Good Evening Tom,

A high standard of work as normal but an oddity, the original soft touch paint does not match the year 2001 backbox.

Andy
Morning Andy,

It’s been a while since we caught up. Thank you very much for the kind words, I remember this being an enjoyable and quick little
turn around. I don’t beleive it to be too much of an oddity but understand where you’re coming from. If you check the months as well as years on the below labels then all should start to make sense.

Referring back to the linked sale thread below which includes pictures of a 2000 Satin Black (hard touch) and a 2002 Soul (soft touch) Climate panel:

August 200 Satinschwarz (hard touch)
IMG_9500.png

October 2002 Soul (soft touch)
IMG_9501.png

Then the late 2001 item in this thread falls nicely between the 2 and suggests that by the end of 2001, the production line had already commenced the switch from hard touch to soft touch, which would first start appearing in 2002 vehicles. This all seems about right to me but it’s only best guess and no expert by any means so could easily be incorrect.

December 2001 Soul (soft touch)
IMG_9502.jpeg

Whether my guess is right or wrong, the evidence of a December 2001 factory label being soft touch provides a conclusive answer I suppose.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back