Sounde Deadening..

Status
Not open for further replies.

EF MAX

Okay,, started this topic off a while back so here is an update.

Stripping the rear out,, the removal of the rear panels, rear side panels and boot carpet reveals that Audi have included some sound deadening.

I have choosen to cover the whole boot floor pan. It took 14 sheets of 500mm by 200mm to do this. Sheets,, if brought in a reasonable quanity can be had for about £2.50 each or less depending on who's you use.

The wheel arch as some but another 3 sheets per wheel soon takes care of that.

The rear side panels will relieve you of another 4 sheets per side and I have yet to get the rear cover off the tailgate but expect another 6 sheets there.

Had a look under the carpets at the floor panels and their coverings and 2 sheets per floor quarter sorts that out.

Front doors will get done next week and I expect them to need at least 5 sheets per door.

The area above the interior lights took most of one sheet.. I tinkered with the idea of removing the roof lining and doing that area and then getting the roof lining retrimmed to match the leather interior but that will have to wait until another day.

I always cover everything like a blanket.

The product that I use is good quality sound deadening pads that the automotive industry use as OEM stuff.

So all in all 64ish sheets needed if you are going to do all of the easily accessible areas.

Most trims on this car come apart like a jigsaw puzzle so there are no issues there.

Final results are as expected,, less road noise, less vibrations though at the expense of adding about 22Kg of weight to the car.

Don't forget that this car is being used as a car audio demo car so sound insulation is a must and should not be seen, in this context, as over the top.

Could you post some pictures that explain how we can remove (and refit) the trim ??

Thanks !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

EF - I hope you have been taking some good photos of all of this!!

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

I will document things as best I can for everyone.

As far as panel removal goes it really is a case of pull gently and things just ping off and snap back into place afterwards.

Still can't suss out the tailgate cover removal yet.. Things is I am a little to proud to keep asking Audi how to remove their carefully place trim as the keep asking me why anyone would want to disassemble a car that is only two weeks old..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back