Stressed brake fluid reservoir worries

BearMcPear

Hi everyone. I removed the master cylinder as I think its gaskets need to be replaced. Didn't know you shouldn't press the brake pedal all the way down when bleeding. Never too old to learn, I suppose. Anyway, it was difficult to remove the hose leading to the clutch and when I removed it I noticed this stress discolouration where the little siphon joins the reservoir.

1704399026518.jpeg
1704399014797.jpeg

Ordered a second-hand reservoir, but annoyingly it has the same if not worse problem.
Should I be worried about it and try ordering a third one?

1704399166525.jpeg
1704399254888.jpeg

I would replace with new if available via TPS or Audi Tradition, just to be safe while it’s off the car.

I would replace with new if available via TPS or Audi Tradition, just to be safe while it’s off the car.

Sadly via Audi Tradition or other OEM shops it's over 90 euros, excluding shipping so I would rather avoid that if possible.

The way I look at it - you’ve already had a secondhand replacement with the same problem, so clearly it’s a fairly common issue unless you’re spectacularly unlucky - hence what’s the price on your safety?

I am a little confused about the part numbers. My original was a 8Z1611301C, the one I ordered is a D (as is the one on Audi Tradition). They look identical, as does the B I can find online. Are they interchangeable?

I’ll chime in again if not unwanted - I have found that when ordering other parts, the letter change on the end means the part the car left the factory with has been superseded by a slightly altered version - the one you’re ordering. I’m pretty sure that’s the case here.

I’ll chime in again if not unwanted - I have found that when ordering other parts, the letter change on the end means the part the car left the factory with has been superseded by a slightly altered version - the one you’re ordering. I’m pretty sure that’s the case here.
Definitely not unwanted. Does that mean they can still fit the same master cylinder etc.?
Some other parts I have seen with different final letters have been notably different (connectors in different places for instance).

It's only the feed for the clutch, if this failed the fluid would drain from the reservoir and fluid warning would be on dash but the brake fluid level would still be enough to maintain braking not sure how the clutch would feel thou.
There is no pressure on this outlet so if it's not leaking I wouldn't imagine it would become a problem

It's only the feed for the clutch, if this failed the fluid would drain from the reservoir and fluid warning would be on dash but the brake fluid level would still be enough to maintain braking not sure how the clutch would feel thou.
There is no pressure on this outlet so if it's not leaking I wouldn't imagine it would become a problem
looking at some videos looks like LHD cars have more room as the reservoir is on the other side and lower down. I take it the reservoir on RHD cars are harder to change? as it seems to be higher up
Many Thanks

Back