Not open for further replies.
R

RTV

I'm considering chipping my TDI and wondered if anyone
on here has chipped theirs ?

If so would you reccomend it, and did it effect your mpg
that much ?

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

I've just had mine done by AMD to go with the Miltek exhaust they fitted. It's now 99hp with 187lbft of torque. It's fun to drive although this route was not particularly cheap (exhaust and chip nearly £1,000 inc VAT). If you want point and squirt fun then I'd recommend it - it certainly embarrases far 'sportier' machines on the road. Economy wise so far (only three tanks) I'd say it's no worse maybe marginally better. If you surf up some of the German chip suppliers they give fuel consumption figures and these show improved economy. Bizarre!

2002 TDi SE - Black

Thanks for the info.

Is your exhaust from the cat back and what are the main benefits ?
Is it much louder than the standard one ?

When I was researching the market last autumn 2 dealers offered to chip both new and used TDi versions if I wanted. They were quoting 95bhp. When asked for price one (Basingstoke) said about £450 and no effect on warranty.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, Tinted Security Glass

There is a chip available for £295 inc vat and fitting !

This will increase power from 75bhp to 101bhp and will increase
tourque from 195Nm to 249Nm and would you beleive it actualy
decrease fuel consumtion by a small amoount.

If anyone wants details let me know ?

quote:Originally posted by RTV

There is a chip available for £295 inc vat and fitting !

This will increase power from 75bhp to 101bhp and will increase
tourque from 195Nm to 249Nm and would you beleive it actualy
decrease fuel consumtion by a small amoount.

If anyone wants details let me know ?

Yes please £295 seems very realistic and is about what I paid for my last car,, not too sure where some companies get off on this £400-500 lack.

[email protected]

thanks..

RTV,

Can you post the details on this thread?

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

I got my Seat Leon 1.9TDi (90HP) chipped by Upsolute and am very happy with the result. The car feels much faster now but the power delivery is not a smooth as it used to be. When the Turbo kicks in it is very noticable. Well worth the £300. Just make sure the guy that does it knows how to remove the A2 ECU as it's probably not as easy as most.

Jamie.

The issues of warranty and insurance appear to be variable. Buying through an Audi dealer seems to mean 'no change' but I checked it out with Audi and was told that changes only invalidate warranty on what you touch. So, for my car with a tuning module, the ecu is not touched. If you 'chip' the ecu presumably warranty is lost. The exhaust change means no Audi warranty (although Audi has a 'fair ear and tear clause anyway that affects things like exhausts) but the new exhaust is stainless and guaranteed for as long as I keep the car. Often the reason for extra cost on modules and chips relates to how they're fitted. Some can be DIY fitted (should be cheapest) others are professionally fitted and custom tuned. This is what was done to my car and is the only way you can be sure of the output figures. One main reason for custom tuning is emissions - diesels can get very sooty when tuned and AMD measure soot levels to ensure they are both legal and sensible. A standard box does not give this option.

Insurance companies all seem to take different views - mine is Direct Line and they apply an increase related to %age power increase. My car is in the 31-40% increase band and this added approx £10 a month to my £28pm premium. Excesses also go up.

RTV you also asked about the exhaust noise. It sounds no different to the standard set up and also looks no different from outside with a downturned tailpipe hidden by the valence. On the rolling road with the exhaust fitted but no chip the car was 83hp and 157lbft of torque. You could tell the difference in performance from standard but it's not startling. I assume that the new system goes from the cat back.

quote:Originally posted by mlarner

When I was researching the market last autumn 2 dealers offered to chip both new and used TDi versions if I wanted. They were quoting 95bhp. When asked for price one (Basingstoke) said about £450 and no effect on warranty.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, Tinted Security Glass

hmmm I just went to my dealer (Gatwick Audi) and asked about an upgrade and they said no way. They don't recommend it and can't say how another dealer can get away with it... Age old story that if we do it and something else goes wrong the car was not designed to handle this power and that broke that etc etc...

Anyone else had it done by a dealer? Recomendations?

_______________________________________________________________________________________
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

and iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Check this site out regards chipping, http://www.jabbasport.co.uk
I had my Seat Leon Cupra chipped their. Highly reccomended full rolling road and sets the chip up to your needs.

They also have a VW Polo 1.4TDI which they chipped 3 years ago
102 BHP and loads more torque !

All in price of £360 not bad, i'm saving up ...

Thanks RTV... but can Mr Audi see on his computer that it has been chipped? Surely this will invalidate my warranty?

_______________________________________________________________________________________
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

and iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

I'm sure the only way they can tell is with a visual inspection, or by driving it.
My loca Audi dealer will chip cars and honour the warranty, basically because there is no way Audi would ever know.
Most of the chip upgrades you can get are already done by VW/Audi themselves in production vehicles. Sometimes there are temperature issues, e.g. on the S3 when chipped up the air intake hose could collapse when warm, reducing performance due to restricted air intake! AMD found this and fixed it with an aluminium insert inside the hose.
Before choosing a chip company, look around on the web for both positive and negative feedback.
AMD are quite expensive, but also offer their own warranty.

MartinW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back