The A2's solid "perspex" grille lives again!

Johann

Ah sweet. The basis for the next Audi A1 and possibly the A2 is the new VW Polo. And look what they have done to the Bluemotion version's grille!!!

1VWbluemotion.jpg

7VWbluemotion.jpg

It now looks just like the original one on the A2. (The daft A2 facelift that made a false grille of the access hatch is too awful to look at and eschews all sense of form follows function in my book).

From: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Volkswagen-Polo-Bluemotion-2010/

Ah sweet. ........The daft A2 facelift that made a false grille of the access hatch is too awful to look at and eschews all sense of form follows function in my book).

Hear, hear!

Unfortunately couldn't see any pics on the car mag web site - must be the firewall.

I personally think this whole "bluemotion" model concept is a bit of a con. If they can make these "environmental" enhancements to a car relatively easily (and they can), then they should make them to the whole range, rather than making you pay a premium for it.
Just my tuppence-worth!

I personally think this whole "bluemotion" model concept is a bit of a con.

I agree. See one of the comments in the original article re BMW:

"Funny how despite all this blue motion tralala that the fleet average BMW sold in Germany is more economical than the fleet average VW, and that's without taking the mini into account..."

Not sure how truthful that statement is, but every BMW has as standard Effecient Dynamics. No separate model that costs more. That is the way to do things.

Totally agree with the paying a premium arguement. Thats why I bought an A2 over the polo Bluemotion.

And you A2 in 10yrs if you look after it will still look the same not like the polo that will be full rusty patches
My brother has got a 51 plate polo 1.4TDI, mine is a year younger but it looks 100 times better as his has got rust patches on the arches and some other stuff that some dodgie bodyshop had done (paint flaking), told him to get an A2 but he's hangging on to his old banger lol

Phil

I personally think this whole "bluemotion" model concept is a bit of a con. If they can make these "environmental" enhancements to a car relatively easily (and they can), then they should make them to the whole range, rather than making you pay a premium for it.
Just my tuppence-worth!
I wouldn't want personally to have bloody long gear ratios + skinny and slippy tyres... That ruins the driving pleasure. Life isn't all about mpg !
Unless *maybe* if my everyday journeys were made of 200 km motorway...

But for the aerodynamic improvements, I agree with you, I don't see why they wouldn't not be standard on all versions.

I wouldn't want personally to have bloody long gear ratios + skinny and slippy tyres... That ruins the driving pleasure. Life isn't all about mpg !
Unless *maybe* if my everyday journeys were made of 200 km motorway...

But for the aerodynamic improvements, I agree with you, I don't see why they wouldn't not be standard on all versions.

I agree with you there! :)

Cheers

Sarge

Wow!

Some of the coments on here are so 1980s!

Actually 145/80 R14 wheels are fantastic - they communicate far more than wide boyz low profiles and you can anticipate when grip will be reduced.

My father had the brilliant Lancia Integrale - super car that had tons of grip but when it let go - it was very serious!

Fuel prices, MPG and CO2 will dominate the headlines in the next 10 years - last year's oil at 150USD a barrel will come back again. Note despite it being around 67USD today we still pay over 100ppl !

Gimmick? Hardly! Was the 1976 VW Golf GTi a gimmick? It's about pushing the normal boundaries a bit further along - the choice is yours to make if you want 20% better economy and lower Carbon taxes in the future.

Yes it is very late - The Lupo 3L and A2 1.2 TDI had better eco stats 10 years ago!

Long gears don't seem to be an issue - the 0-60MPH is around the same as the 1.6 TDI and longer gears means quieter cruising.

2000 RPM at motorway speeds and 80+MPG - from a 1191cc DIESEL - unheard of back in the 1980s!

Back