Throttle Lag

2226Quattro

Hi Folks
My 2003 1.6 FSi has terrible throttle lag to the point that it struggles to cope with any sort of incline.
The Cam and MAF sensors flashed up in my diagnostics and replaced them both but it's still the same.
I purchased the car with a cracked water pipe which I fixed and now this has occurred.
I've checked all the wiring and hoses for anything obvious but all seems OK
Is there anything obvious I'm missing or can try?

Hi, could be a whole host of things. Can you perform a diagnostic scan maybe and see what sort of error codes you have?

Are there any error indicators on your dash at the moment?

Are you sure it is not the clutch, i.e., judder.

There are no dash indicators and the clutch is perfect.
I've no local access to VagCom but can get it SnapOn checked at a local garage.
With the 'death pipe' needing replaced, could it need a new temperature sensor?

Hi,

There are two temperature sensors, one at the lower radiator hose and one at the thermostat housing. On the thermostat housing there is also a heating element that is responsible for warming up the thermostat to open up earlier than its mechanical set-point according to the ECU. See below:

What you have described might have to do with either of the above giving out a reading that is outside what is considered normal for the ECU.

This lack of power had been present on mine quite a while back but it was related to the MAF sensor that I had replaced with a used one. Mind you mine had a whole array of issues that needed sorting out first so fixing including the clutch.

Are you using 98 octane fuel? I wouldn't go as far as saying that the lack of power would be so dramatic but after trying it out myself for a couple of weeks I'd say that it does run better on higher-octane fuel as per the manufacturer's instructions.

Back