Timing Belt gone :(

tnpali01

The large timing belt on my 1.6 FSI has come off the pulley wheels . not the samller belt between the two camshafts . I presume it has snapped or tensioner failed ? Is it scrap, or worth exploring getting fixed. Any advice ? presume this is interference engine so expect damage will be economic disaster .... Unfortunately I have no service history , other than MOT ...83k it was a job that I guessed needed doing, but hadnt got around to . 4 months into ownership gutted ...

Sounds like the tensioner has failed and yes its an interference engine. All depends on the damage it's done. If it was otherwise running ok beforehand it may be worth having someone take the head off and check the damage.

Thanks Steve , It was running fine with usual 1.6 foibles EML / EPC on one day.... fine next, Any idea on ball park costs or labour for someone to take head off or know of anyone who does recon engine?. Quotes for recovery to garage are already £100-150, no mobile mech ive tried seems interested and I cant seem to find anyone who supplies recon engine for the A2 1.6 . Want to fix it if poss ... but if costs are above finding another A2... may have to go down replacement route

Oh that is a shame. All for want of a cambelt change. Sorry to hear that I’m not the only one with misfortune this morning.

Did you check out Gary at B&F in Hounslow? I know this was suggested to you when you first got the car as a garage you should contact.

I think you’re looking at the thick end of £1000 to get this sorted at least. Worth doing of your car is so low mileage and has already been proboosted though.

Oh that is a shame. All for want of a cambelt change. Sorry to hear that I’m not the only one with misfortune this morning.

Did you check out Gary at B&F in Hounslow? I know this was suggested to you when you first got the car as a garage you should contact.

I think you’re looking at the thick end of £1000 to get this sorted at least. Worth doing of your car is so low mileage and has already been proboosted though.
Its started raining now.... I've had a look at the belt and it actually think the belt looks OK... maybe it had been changed but not the tensioner ... It just looks like theres no tension... its loose . If its gonna cost £1000 + I think I may have to explore it being a write off , and now a DIY discovery project.... or source of parts...

Its started raining now.... I've had a look at the belt and it actually think the belt looks OK... maybe it had been changed but not the tensioner ... It just looks like theres no tension... its loose . If its gonna cost £1000 + I think I may have to explore it being a write off , and now a DIY discovery project.... or source of parts...
I am in the same boat with one of my A2's. Mine was self inflicted timing belt fail on first start up, I must have not tightened the tensioner correctly. As mine only happened at a turn of the key, I am hoping just a bent valve. But no mechanic wants to take mine on with pricing me out at £85 a hour and telling me its not worth it. I dont have indoor space, so I am waiting until Summer and I will remove the head it looks a simple engine, then I can either send the head off, source a replacement top end etc
this video shows how to remove the head

I am in the same boat with one of my A2's. Mine was self inflicted timing belt fail on first start up, I must have not tightened the tensioner correctly. As mine only happened at a turn of the key, I am hoping just a bent valve. But no mechanic wants to take mine on with pricing me out at £85 a hour and telling me its not worth it. I dont have indoor space, so I am waiting until Summer and I will remove the head it looks a simple engine, then I can either send the head off, source a replacement top end etc
this video shows how to remove the head
Sorry to hear a similar issue has affected your A2. I guess changing the belt is not without risks. should the tensioner always be replaced? Yeah most garages just dont seem interested and say its scrap. Either they dont want the hassle, want to work on an A2 or genuinely they deem it beyond economic repair. Im going to try B&F , but my issue is getting it to them , costs involved and then what do I do if its not vailable and ? I think DIY is going to be the only viable option . I too have no garage in which to work, so hoping for a warm Easter :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear a similar issue has affected your A2. I guess changing the belt is not without risks. should the tensioner always be replaced? Yeah most garages just dont seem interested and say its scrap. Either they dont want the hassle, want to work on an A2 or genuinely they deem it beyond economic repair. Im going to try B&F , but my issue is getting it to them , costs involved and then still not having solution . I want to have a look myself when the weather gets better . I too have no garage in which to work, so hoping for a warm Easter :)
These garages only want £85 per hour for swapping out parts ie alternator, starter motor...they look up in a book the time in labour, if your job isn't in the labour book..they are not interested. Need a old school mechanic hard to find these days.

These garages only want £85 per hour for swapping out parts ie alternator, starter motor...they look up in a book the time in labour, if your job isn't in the labour book..they are not interested. Need a old school mechanic hard to find these days.
Very true

Might be worth replacing the belt and seeing if you get lucky!
How fast was the engine going?
Have you tried to start it since it stopped?

Might be worth replacing the belt and seeing if you get lucky!
How fast was the engine going?
Have you tried to start it since it stopped?
Car was on drive , stationary not moving, just cold start , started made a terrible noise then died . Unfortunately I tried to restart the car two or three times so may I now realise might have caused further damage doing this . Yeah I might try a new belt and tensioner . Thanks

Will see if I can speak to an vw tech tomorrow, sure he said the 1.4 16v gets away with a quarter of a turn on the cam sprocket before any valve damage, fingers crossed same for the 1.6!!

Good luck. I had someone ring me up saying that their fsi was acting funny and in the end they realised that it was 4 teeth off. In the end it was fine. Maybe you got lucky.

You could do worse than to give Gary at B&F a ring. West Hounslow is not a million miles from Watford and he would more than likely have sensible delivery/recovery chap up his sleeve.

Best of luck,

Back