Too much oil I believe

Hello All,
My first posting and a bit of an emergency.
I have a 2002 1.4L petrol A2 and because I can't get on with the orange dipstick ,
I believe I have now over filled to the top of the last orange(pear shaped) marker.
What are my best options please?
Undo sump nut to drain some out,
or is the filter a better way(& is it easy to get to??
Or, other suggestions
Thank-you in advance

Undo the plug or even better if you have one is to use an extractor to suck a little at a time out until the level is correct.

The dipstick is fine if you have a strong light to hold it under once pulled, wiped and dipped again - try that next time.

Undo the plug or even better if you have one is to use an extractor to suck a little at a time out until the level is correct.

The dipstick is fine if you have a strong light to hold it under once pulled, wiped and dipped again - try that next time.
Thank-you.
The oil light came on Saturday so I added some in darkness, then I came on again 4 days later so I added 1/4 Litre more.
I prefer the straight forward blade or rod you get on a lot of cars!!
I don't want to damage the engine, etc.!

HI robin, worth checking if the sensor is reliable, mine comes on when on motorway randomly, oil level fine on dipstick. If in doubt drain it out and measure what comes out, put in right amount, check once a week. :)

HI robin, worth checking if the sensor is reliable, mine comes on when on motorway randomly, oil level fine on dipstick. If in doubt drain it out and measure what comes out, put in right amount, check once a week. :)
There's some sensible pointers there & I thank-you very much.
Rookie errors of a new A2 owner(5 months)!!

I prefer the straight forward blade or rod you get on a lot of cars
Actually... did you know, A2 1.4 petrol engines until 2002, has got a hidden 2nd dipstick location? I know right, A2s are just keep giving :cool: .
On later models it was permanently blocked, so go and have a look, if you're in luck, you can just buy an adapter and dipstick from aua polos, which, you guessed it right, has got a flat straight surface. Yay. I've been using it for years and it's great indeed🤩 More details and product numbers in Mtl's video.
If your A2 hasn't got it, you'd get a vcds and you can check the oil level there as well, info can be found on the forum.

Is the oil drain plug on the lower side of the sump(driver's side-UK)??
Don't want to be undoing the wrong bolt??
Also ,does anyone know from experience the bolt head size (mm)?
Thank-you:eek:;)

P.S. It's raining and I don't want to be under there too long!!

Yes, rear of the sump, assuming you are approaching from the front of the car, on the drivers side

Have a look at the videos posted by @mtl Very helpful and if I remember correctly there is one covering an oil change

Is the oil drain plug on the lower side of the sump(driver's side-UK)??
@chrisnic's pics.
Also to remove the oil filter you may have to remove the front filler Y tube, not difficult just fiddly.

download.jpeg

Guys!!
Someone has stripped the thread in the casing, well that's my prognosis!!
The bolt came out alright, not much force needed.
I drained off some oil & returned the bolt up to the head/casing & it just keeps turning!!
I took the bolt out again, to check the thread and it's fine, although the rubber seal is thrashed.
Thing is, it hasn't previously been leaking as it would have oil marks in my parking spaces!!
Is it easy for a workshop, etc to repair the casing??
What a headache:eek: & how much will that cost me??:rolleyes:

Guys!!
Someone has stripped the thread in the casing, well that's my prognosis!!
The bolt came out alright, not much force needed.
I drained off some oil & returned the bolt up to the head/casing & it just keeps turning!!
I took the bolt out again, to check the thread and it's fine, although the rubber seal is thrashed.
Thing is, it hasn't previously been leaking as it would have oil marks in my parking spaces!!
Is it easy for a workshop, etc to repair the casing??
What a headache:eek: & how much will that cost me??:rolleyes:
I’m confused as to which bolt you’re now referring to - I thought you meant the sump plug - but your reference to the head and casing has me puzzled?

I’m confused as to which bolt you’re now referring to - I thought you meant the sump plug - but your reference to the head and casing has me puzzled?
Sorry if confusing about my description!!
Casing(sump) and head of bolt!!

Sorry if confusing about my description!!
Casing(sump) and head of bolt!!
The original sump plug is M14.
An incompetent mechanic prior to my ownership cross threaded it.
I had to buy an M15 tap to repair it, and the corresponding M15 sump plugs and
copper washers. V Coil (German made) do this kit.
No trouble since; due to me knowing what I'm doing!

The original sump plug is M14.
An incompetent mechanic prior to my ownership cross threaded it.
I had to buy an M15 tap to repair it, and the corresponding M15 sump plugs and
copper washers. V Coil (German made) do this kit.
No trouble since; due to me knowing what I'm doing!
Thank-you for that help. I will hunt that out(any pointers where?) and see if my new local mechanic will do it for me.

Last edited:
Thank-you for that help. I will hunt that out(and pointers where?) and see if my new local mechanic will do it for me.
It cost about £40, including plenty of new plugs and washers. Please make sure he removes all the swarf
when rethreading it. Metal in the oil isn't a good idea.

There's some sensible pointers there & I thank-you very much.
Rookie errors of a new A2 owner(5 months)!!
I agree, the dipstick (orange in my 1.4 petrol) can be awkward.
I have to dip/wipe several times to get a consistent level reading.
The V-Coil tap is a taper tap. This is far more suitable, and easier to do accurately.
A lot of cheaper (Chinese made rubbish) kits only supply a bottom (plug) tap, which is very difficult
and unsuitable to do the repair properly.

Last edited:
An alternative could be to get a sump from a breaker.
Bearing in mind I have never taken a sump off an A2, so have no idea about tricky it will be to swap.

Back