TPMS question, possibly stupid...

Sambrook

Because my A2 is for sale, it's been standing idle, away from home (to catch passing traffic). After maybe a week, I took it out for the afternoon, it behaved impeccably.
Next day, though, 3 tyres were flat. Initially thought someone had let them down, but it's happened twice more since ( deflates overnight)
Is it just an unpleasant coincidence, or something else? The tyre service station I rang said it's likely the pressure sensors.
However, I have a set of VW wheels on the car, so I can't see how any pressure sensors could 'communicate' with the car...
Is it me missing something obvious? Any help will be greatly appreciated...

No TPMS on the A2.

Sounds like on your trip out you had the bad luck to inadvertently drive over a large area of road strewn/spilled with sharp objects such as a box of tacks or malicious placement of such when parked.

Inspect the each tyre carefully.

Andy

I think you were right the first time. It could just be idiots walking past at night with nothing better to do than mess with things that aren't theirs, but my guess is that someone's taking exception to it being parked up there and is applying a little persuasion to move it. If it still happens on your drive, there's the answer.

Edit: My answer isn't mutually exclusive with Andy's, sad to say I've known of meddling and/or persuasion extending to malicious placement of sharp objects before now :(

There is no tyre pressure monitoring system on the A2 so it can't be that.

Most likely that there is corrosion on the wheels that is preventing a perfect seal to the tyres and allowing a small amount of air to slowly escape.

The solution is to either have the wheels fully stripped and refurbished or cheaper as you are selling the car and probably don't want to go to the hassle and expense of that is to have the tyres resealed to the wheels with bead sealant which any decent tyre garage could do.

First I would check that no one has damaged your tyres whilst it's been standing as it does seem a coincidence for three to be leaking all of a sudden.

If you over inflate the tyres slightly you can spray them with water with a little washing up liquid in it and check for leaking air which with show as bubbling.

Specifically check for piercing of the sidewalls (that no one has stuck something in them), around the rim of the wheels where they meet the tyres (inside and outside), the tread area and lastly the valves to make sure they are tight.

Good luck 👍

One thing worth trying - if you have the means to do so - if the tyres have some rainwater on them - is inflate to full pressure and then listen (if where your vehicle is situated is quiet enough). If it is the rim edges or the valve seat (do this with wheel rotated so the valve at the bottom) - you will hear and / or see bubbles in the valve seat or sizzling from around the tyre edges.

As stated above though - it happening so suddenly suggests something third-party happening.

Thanks all. Could it be that the wheels (VW Polo) have failed pressure sensors, or do they have to be hooked up in order to fail...?

Just completely ignore the comment from the tyre place about the tyre pressure monitors. A2 not compatible and even if they were fitted into the rims makes no difference. One quick and easy thing to check is that the valve cores are all tight. A cheap tool is required to tighten and remove them. Back many years ago valve caps were metal and had the core tool built into them. How I wish I had kept some of those...

Lastly if you do have the tyres checked or replaced do not take it to the place that has already given you duff information.

Because my A2 is for sale, it's been standing idle, away from home (to catch passing traffic). After maybe a week, I took it out for the afternoon, it behaved impeccably.
Next day, though, 3 tyres were flat. Initially thought someone had let them down, but it's happened twice more since ( deflates overnight)
Is it just an unpleasant coincidence, or something else? The tyre service station I rang said it's likely the pressure sensors.
However, I have a set of VW wheels on the car, so I can't see how any pressure sensors could 'communicate' with the car...
Is it me missing something obvious? Any help will be greatly appreciated...
It is likely to be a malicious act by someone. The chance of it being anything else is so small that it can be ignored imo.
Mac.

Just completely ignore the comment from the tyre place about the tyre pressure monitors. A2 not compatible and even if they were fitted into the rims makes no difference. One quick and easy thing to check is that the valve cores are all tight. A cheap tool is required to tighten and remove them. Back many years ago valve caps were metal and had the core tool built into them. How I wish I had kept some of those...

Lastly if you do have the tyres checked or replaced do not take it to the place that has already given you duff information.
You mean like this?
eBay link
Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 15.23.44.png

Yes these are the current aftermarket caps. Not as good as the old ones as these aftermarket ones generally are drilled through and do not seal the valve.

They still perform the job of removing or tightening the valve core and are very useful for that purpose alone.

Thanks everybody for your input. Helpful as always on this forum.
Turned out it was sabotage- nails found in two sidewalls. I hope whoever did it is happy with the time and money it's cost me... Hey ho, on with the show.
Cheers all.

Thanks everybody for your input. Helpful as always on this forum.
Turned out it was sabotage- nails found in two sidewalls. I hope whoever did it is happy with the time and money it's cost me... Hey ho, on with the show.
Cheers all.
Feared as much, hope it wasn't too costly 👍

Back