Turbo 'switching off' approx 80mph.

flattened

Hi,

2003 1.4 TDi SE. No mods.
9,800 miles (ish)

When hitting around about the 80mph mark the acceleration power drops completely. It feels as if the turbo switches off.
Acceleration is slow. The first time it happened was a shocker! Used to it now.

Turning engine off/on at next safe place to do so remedies it until it gets up to the 80mph (approx 3000 rpm) mark again.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers,
Andy. :confused:

Ah... I have seen some other posts. Didn't realise it happens a lot. I'm not big on motors to be honest; so the basics of where to check user serviceable parts, boost pipes etc would help me if there are any web links anyone has.

Cheers,
Andy.

Ah... I have seen some other posts. Didn't realise it happens a lot. I'm not big on motors to be honest; so the basics of where to check user serviceable parts, boost pipes etc would help me if there are any web links anyone has.

Cheers,
Andy.

By The way, the turbo is driven by exhaust gasses and so it cannot be "turned off" so it sounds like yours is going into "limp mode" with the engine light on (is it?) when this happens?

Sounds like you need a scan to see what error codes you are getting (probably the overboost error?)

But it could be several things and so a scan is essential.

Steve B

Mine does something similar on random ocassions sometimes months apart however it doesn't generate any warning lights.

My old 1.9TDI engine on a previous car used to do this - there was a cut in the air duct after the air filter (allowing dirty air to bypass the MAF). Effectively it was the same as a MAF (mass-air-flow) sensor which reads low. The engine computer thinks it is being starved of air, so it cuts the amount of fuel supplied in order to protect the engine. But as stated in other threads there are a number of other possible causes, the most common being the vacuum pipe going to the N75 valve being perished, split, or disconnected.

Thanks everyone. Definitely one for me to look at over the Xmas break. I have had my brother put his scanner into the OBD port and no codes were shown. If I don't see anything 'obvious' with pipes then it'll be off to the local garage.

Back