Underbody stone chip protection.

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
I’ve had a good search and not found any advice on underbody coatings.

Can anybody advise what the rubbery coating is on the underside of an A2. It looks mostly sprayed on but in some places it looks smeared around by hand or brush.

Got some patching up to do.

Phil

There are various campervan forums where they debate various chassis black coatings

They seem universally scathing of hammerite.

Frost restoration do a few products and that’s what I was probably going to use on my T25 but I haven’t tried it yet. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used Hammerite products with reasonable success on steel but having done some research there appears to be better options.

However an A2 is different (now there’s a surprise ?), no need for corrosion protection so I suspect the coating is there to stop erosion of sheet aluminium and to deaden sound. I suspect though it’s a product also used on steel VAG cars. If I can identify it I have multiple applications.

If it’s not identified here Ill aks the local VAG body shop and advise.

lanoshield/lanoguard is all you need to do...
I’ve had a couple of exchanges with Lanoguard on Facebook regarding their claims. I was bombarded by their adverts.
My position was that it could not provide impact protection and was only suited to cavity protection. They suggested it self heals; my argument, if there is any left. I wouldn't mind using sheep byproducts to protect my cavities (!?) but I still have a big tub of Dynax UC to use up.
Dynax UC doesn’t provide impact protection either, a rubberised covering is required.

have a chat with lanoshield...
the thing is, it is reversible, does not trap water like a compromised rubberised covering...
it is only an opinion.... having used many products over the years..

have a chat with lanoshield...
the thing is, it is reversible, does not trap water like a compromised rubberised covering...
it is only an opinion.... having used many products over the years..
I have, many times, they are too hung up on protecting their brand in my opinion rather than facing engineering reality.
Just ask why manufacturers use rubberised coverings from the factory? Or these days plastic under shields?
Edit, it’s around 5 years since l last bought a new car. Im fairly certain I dropped the plastic shields and sprayed Dynax UC everywhere. I would have happily substituted Dynax with Lono. However I would not have not refitted the shields. It would then be the wrong product in the wrong environment. It would have eroded and the steel floor pan would rust.
Here we are dealing with an aluminium space frame which can be left in bare metal unless it requires impact protection. This thread is about coatings that provide stone chip protection.

Last edited:
Back