Useful RNS-E Retrofit Information

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
Morning all,

Whilst I’ve been playing with the Audi Navigation Plus head units I’ve become quite intimate and knowledgeable about them and have been considering providing a full up thread to take you from purchase, reshaping and to installation along with the additional peripherals that can be added.

The last couple of months have seen me investigating rear camera feed which I’d like to add at some point, during my investigations I found this thread that is very informative and thought it right to share:

Tap on the Audi link the onto the RNS-E Retrofit. Really useful.

50620962-AA80-4BC2-AF02-B2552A611839.jpeg

There are many links within the the above thread which are well worth a read.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
That site is very handy! I have just got around to fitting my RNSe, bluetooth and ami parts that I have been collecting. Now I am interested in a reverse camera! What would be needed if running the custom firmware? Is there a need for an rgb converter?

That site is very handy! I have just got around to fitting my RNSe, bluetooth and ami parts that I have been collecting. Now I am interested in a reverse camera! What would be needed if running the custom firmware? Is there a need for an rgb converter?

Morning Jon,

I’ve done a fair bit of research on this subject but so far not fitted a RVC. Something that I’ll get to soon enough though as it really does seem like a handy feature.

From what I’ve read so far, most RNS-E users install either a RGB Converter or a MultiMedia Adapter.

1. RGB Converter like this:
IMG_6996.jpeg

2. Kufatec RVC kit:
IMG_6998.jpeg

3. MultiMedia Interface:
IMG_6999.jpeg

Personally I cannot speak of any of the above from first hand experience. This is a subject I’m slowly working on in the background and will share my findings once complete. I’m leaning towards the MultiMedia Interface as it allows an additional input which is also something I’ve considered for a couple of years now.

There is so much information available online for this additional retrofit so do have a look around and don’t limit your research to our wonderful pages. The A3/4/6 and TT websites are extremely helpful as these aforementioned models had the RNS-E as an optional extra from factory.

The links within the first post certainly has some good reading regards RVC.

If you’ve read up on the very latest custom firmware notes, there is mention of not needing a CAN type module for RVC which could see the above list growing.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have done a bit more reading around the subject and I think we wouldn't need anything as expensive as those units. With the custom firmware and the ability to code the unit in lamborghini mode I think we could use a cheaper CVBS to RGBS converter, for example:

SmartSelect_20230518-201145_AliExpress.jpg

(Thats from AliExpress but probably available on ebay too)

Will need to do some custom wiring to match up the correct pins but I think it could be an option. Once I get my RNSE in properly (and detecting reverse!) I might take a gamble on one of these and give it a go, just need to find a camera that fits and looks OEM.

Jonathan.

Morning Jonathan,

Only just noticed your response above, apologies for not coming back to you sooner. Yes a non CAN module could well be a better option for any of us utilising the latest custom firmware. Please do let us all know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back